Minds and Machines at NYU Paris

In this philosophy course, students learn the art and science of debate

A Twist on a Traditional Philosophy Course

Dr. Frédérique de Vignemont sitting at a desk

Dr. Frédérique de Vignemont

In her philosophy course called Minds and Machines at NYU Paris, Dr. Frédérique de Vignemont merges concepts from the humanities and the sciences to offer a unique and interactive experience for her students. “I’m a philosopher who likes to talk about science,” she says. “I’m not just hard-core humanities. In my class I try to get the two sides talking, which can sometimes be a challenge. My class is open to all majors, and that makes it interesting because each student brings a unique perspective to the table.”

Philosophy in Practice

Dr. de Vignemont’s course is a series of lectures on philosophical concepts coupled with interactive debates about thought-provoking questions like: Can machines think like humans? Do all animals feel pain? Are humans different from machines?

“I choose debate topics that students can feel deeply about,” Dr. de Vignemont says. “This class is all about practicing philosophy, not just reading or listening to lectures about it. During debates, I help students find their way of thinking and formulate their objections.”

According to Dr. de Vignemont, the ability to debate is an important skill for students to have regardless of their major. “Students need to learn how to listen to each other, even when they disagree. They also need to learn how to present their arguments in a way that the other side can understand.”

For Xichen Li, a College of Arts and Science Class of 2023 Philosophy major, the course’s weekly debates were her favorite part because they exposed her to different perspectives and allowed her to recognize the flaws in her own arguments.

“During the debates, I was able to broaden and diversify my perspectives on philosophical issues and life in general,” says Xichen. “As the class went on, we learned how to think and debate in more creative, rigorous, and nuanced ways. The habit of debating continues to benefit me to this day.”

Beyond the lectures and debates, Dr. de Vignemont teaches students more general skills like how to analyze a paper, how to defend a viewpoint, and how to synthesize their findings.

Two students seated in the foreground in discussion with Dr. de Vignemont seated in the background

Dr. de Vignemont listens to students debate in her NYU Paris course, Minds and Machines.

Gaining Unexpected Life Skills

When students complete the Minds and Machines course at NYU Paris, they leave with an appreciation for life’s quiet complexities. They know how to think critically about topics, ask probing questions, and find comfort in the unknown. “As an undergraduate, I was told the ability to be surprised is the main philosophical skill,” says Dr. de Vignemont. “We take so many things for granted. It’s the philosopher’s job to be picky and ask questions. While I’m not sure students will get many answers from this class, I’m certain they’ll learn how to ask new questions.”

And that’s exactly what happened for Xichen Li—she felt the power and beauty of questioning for the very first time.

“I realized questioning existing answers can open up new possibilities,” says Xichen. “Sometimes asking questions can point out flaws in our past understanding and push our mindsets forward. But even when our mindsets don’t move forward (because many philosophical questions seem to have no clear answers), asking questions can reveal how ignorant and finite we are. In this class I learned that questioning is a fantastic way to explore the world and feel the depth of the unknown.”

Written by Samantha Jamison