Matthew Morrocco: Complicit

October 25-November 16, 2017

Curated by Keith Miller

Older naked man and younger man kissing

For the work I’ve made since 2012 I spent intimate time photographing older men in New York City to learn how to seduce, to age gracefully, to learn about the past. The impact of the education I received in matters of art, lust, and aging, outweighed anything I’ve experienced before or since and has characterized much of my adult life.

It may have been photography that I meant to inspect but what I found was an essence of human connectivity that extends beyond just sex and lust. I met men in their homes. We had tea, shed tears, shared orgasms and intimate details. I was told about dead lovers, stories about AIDs, about their mothers, about new jobs and grandchildren, about our interest in each other.

Through all of these stories of triumph and failure, I’ve learned about the experience of art. I’ve found that each person–artist, subject, and viewer–must understand that all individuals are solely responsible for their thoughts and actions. The artist does not decide the content of the work alone. When taking part in the process of art, complicity is a passive action, to encounter is to be complicit. To view is to take part.
– Matthew Morrocco
Matthew Morrocco