Yiwei Lu

GAF 2022 Student Leadership Team  Artists Events Installation Views

Grey Sea

STATEMENT:

“Nothing straight has ever grown out of the crooked timber of humanity.” – Immanuel Kant 

I read Dante. I have spent an entire afternoon gazing at the tiniest details of Botticelli’s painting of Inferno, of men and women torn apart in the tempest of their desires. I psychoanalyze myself bi-weekly, assessing the subliminal causes for my irrational behaviors other than my mom. I read the teachings of the Buddha, and I have glimpsed into the nature of my sufferings in those countless eternities through my introspections. I hold myself up to the ideals of the Enlightenment, striving to live by Kant’s idea of the “good will” and to become Nietzsche’s Ubermensch myself. Yet somehow, I also spend 30 minutes on average mindlessly scrolling through my phone before I get out of bed every morning. How the f**k does this happen? In this play, I have taken the traditional form of the morality play and placed it into the modern context to explore the relationship between technology and the individual’s will. Perhaps, after watching this play, you’ll also be asking yourself, how the f**k does this happen?

BIO:
Yiwei Lu
Yiwei Lu (he/him)

Yiwei (Will) Lu is not really an artist. He dabbles in many fields such as philosophy, theater, literature, and acupuncture, but isn’t that accomplished at any of them. His works have not been featured in any publication or exhibits you would know. If anything, he should be considered an escapologist, as being “artsy” gives him the perfect excuse to not get a job and not talk to people (due to bad social skills, not misanthropy). Much as he strives to express intentionality and individualism in his works, his motivations are mainly the long-overdue deadlines, and his creative process is often the desperate attempt to artistically salvage a whole night of not getting work done. He does not have a webpage of his works ready yet, but if you would like to chat, you can reach out to him at 347-268-8838, and perhaps he’ll garner up enough motivation to reply to you one day, when the Ishmael becomes the Ahab.