Angela He

← Back to Artists

Angela HeBayan KiwanCaroline SindersDeath, Sex & Money • Kaho AbeKatia RepinaLam Thuy VoLauren Lee McCarthyMickalene ThomasMimi ỌnụọhaTamiko ThielTega Brain and Sam LavigneThe Cut

a new life

Drawing of a cellphone video shat between two women.

a new life is a slice-of-life, bittersweet visual novel about connection and letting go. It’s your classic love story: Meet, marry, grow old. But when your loved one hurts you, what do you do? Is it better to love and be hurt, than never love at all?

I wanted to create a deeply personal story because I felt like those stories are the ones that move me the most, separating the really good from the good. My past few years at college have been a rollercoaster ride of new experiences, relationships, and plain old life lessons. So I thought I’d take the moments from my past few years that stayed with me the most and vent them out into a visual novel. Thus it took me about a month to make and is one of my most ambitious projects yet. I hope you enjoy my passion project!

–Angela He

Drawing of a girl with a blue and white stripped shirt. Her eyes are closed and she is holding a stuffed teddy bear.
Image courtesy of the artist.

Angela He is an undergraduate student at Stanford University studying Computer Science and Art. She is a self described “code monkey” whose practice combines art, coding, and storytelling. Some of her achievements include #1 Trending and #1 Role Playing on Google Play, #4 Family game on the App Store, and first place in the Riot Games Hackathon. She has been a freelance illustrator since 2012 and has a robust online presence across various social media platforms. Apart from her solo game development, she has also interned at Facebook, Microsoft, Zynga and Benten Technologies for software engineering and game design. In 2019, Angela started the clothing brand, softyshop, which features apparel with her illustrations. In June of 2020, she accepted a series of commissions whose funds she donated to Black Lives Matter in hopes of ending the cycle of discriminatory police brutality against the Black community. 

Visit her website, STEAM, and itch.io