Seeing Wholeness & Complexity

“…the protocol provides a list of questions that the presenter might think about and answer in describing the child, under five headings: physical presence and gesture, disposition and temperament, relationships, interests and passions, and ways of thinking and learning (Himley 2000).” (Knoester, 2008, p. 148)

Each ‘heading’ seems to accent a cornerstone in a person’s identity, and it is in my opinion that as educators (as humans!) we probably overlook four at any given time and judge a student, or another person, based upon just one. It is also interesting to me how one persons say, physical presence and gesture may either negatively or positively interact with another person’s physical presence and gesture. The five ‘headings’ do not stand alone but constantly interacting with others. Perhaps a student, or person’s, physical presence is more withdrawn or timid than my own. Their body language may be rounded in towards their core and their gestures may try to hide parts of their body or push away physicality of others. These characteristics act in opposition to my more open body language with gesture that invites people closer to my physicality. As an educator (and person) I tend to think something is wrong, when a persons physical presence does not mirror my own, or I interpret our interaction as disconnected. However, if I really take time to be REFLECTIVE and consider the other four ‘headings’ perhaps I will come to realize that this is not true. That I had been purely basing my assessment of our relating off of one aspect of a person’s identity instead of seeing their wholeness and complexity.