Brain-based learning is the answer

I was especially struck by the depth Philip brings to what are outlined as two generalizations of neuroscience in education: ‘Brain-based learning is the answer’ and ‘Neuroscience research is speaking directly to educators’. Both of these statements are more than over-generalizations; they support larger structures of power in the education system that are constantly looking for systematic, quantifiable, often absolute answers to deep questions about the brain, learning and meaning-making. By shifting the power of knowing to another scientific assessment, educators fall into the same traps presented by standardized testing and the pathologization of youth. I was excited to read more about the thinking Philip is doing to this epistemological realm in education because as an educator on the ground, I am inundated by newer, hipper, sexier neuro-learning possibilities that make all sorts of promises — not all of which are quantifiable but many of which seek to be. I worry that this new fad of education may miss the depth Philip points to while covering up the abstract difficulties of teaching, inquiring and exploring in meaningful ways.