Substance Abuse and the Teacher’s Role

“In the school settings, teenagers draw conclusions about alcohol and drug abuse from what they see and hear from their friends, classmates, and teachers. When schools establish drug and alcohol policies that clearly state expectations and penalties regarding use by students, they help reinforce the factor that underage drug use is not an acceptable form of behavior.”

While reading Chapter 9, I thought to myself, were I a teenager, how would I interpret this information? I was struck by the difference between the studies concluding that the teenage brain is succeptible to the negative affects of drug and alcohol abuse, and the affirmation of  certain drugs such as the ADHD medication when prescribed by a doctor. As an adolescant, I think I would find this information confusing. If all pills look the same, why do adults ask or even require me to take some “drugs” while warning me not to take others? I agree with the conclusion that an open dialogue is imperative to student’s developing an understanding of substance abuse, yet I also think it’s important to remember the teacher’s role in maintaining this dialogue. As teachers, our role is not to scare students with our own experiences, but we should invite them to share and, more importantly, connect them with outside help and guidance when needed.