Peer pressure

“The most effective approaches teach students how to resist and deal with powerful social influences. These approaches rely on interactive teaching methods and require a commitment to teacher training.”  Philip (2006) This is Your Brain on….Understanding and Curbing Adolescent Substance Abuse.

I find it interesting that, according to this article, the most effective method to help prevent drug use among teens is teaching them to deal with social pressure. I find it interesting because it is implicitly stating that most teenagers would make the right decision were it not for their peers. That is very promising and somewhat surprising. I also think that in order for them to make the right decisions, they must be accurately informed of the dangers and consequences of doing drugs. Though the article states that being armed with the accurate information alone is not extremely effective due to adolescents general disregard for risks, if this information is paired with instruction on how to resist and deal with powerful social pressures, then adolescents have a much better chance of making good decisions. I grew up in a time when the effects and consequences of drugs were exaggerated, which just amplified the distrust many youths had for the authority figures propagating this information. This distrust and misinformation did little to help adolescents make good decisions or to form meaningful relationships with their teachers and other adults who could otherwise provide valuable support to them. Adolescents, like all others, deserve to be told the truth. They also need strategies to think independently and critically, particularly in regard to peer pressure. I really hope that there is more of a commitment to teacher training in this.

It is  discouraging that more teacher training seems to be the solution for many of the issues facing students today because it implies that not enough is being done on many levels.

One thought on “Peer pressure

1. Hi Thomas,
    “They also need strategies to think independently and critically, particularly in regard to peer pressure.” But how long? Our reading says,” the freedom to remain without the use of drugs
    may be difficult to maintain in a society when one’s competition is using enhancement.” I am doing student teaching in 11th grade, one of my student comes different types of drugs almost everyday.I don’t know what types of drugs is that but I know he has some problem.( From our reading I came to know that they can shop so many drugs online without prescription and verifying their age.) He always talk about drugs with peers and its effect. One day I saw both of them ate one tablet each. My concern is how long you can avoid your peer. I did complain to my CT about this incidence, I don’t think they took any steps against him, still he has the same routine.