Aggressive Girls and Confident Boys

Schellenbach, C. J., Leadbeater, B. J., & Moore, K. A. (2004). Enhancing the development outcomes of adolescent parents and their children.

“…evidence of individual differences among subgroups of adolescent mothers is accumulating. Within a high-risk sample of African American mothers, Miller-Johnson et al. (1999) found that girls who demonstrated stable patterns of aggression in childhood were more likely to become pregnant in early adolescence and more likely to have multiple births before 19 years of age. A second group of girls became pregnant in late adolescence but functioned competently in other domains of behavior. A third group of girls were characterized by parent reports of depressive symptoms, although the adolescents themselves did not corroborate this. Confirming the relationship between aggression and early pregnancies, Underwood and colleagues (1996) also found that half of the aggressive girls in a sample of lower income, African American girls became pregnant compared to 25% of girls rated as nonaggressive. Moreover, these highly aggressive girls were more likely to belong to social groups that accepted and encouraged early risk-taking behaviors.”

I chose this passage because it put up some red flags for me. I read the words ‘aggressive’ and ‘girl’ in the context of early sexual activity and had to pause.

First, I am reminded of the idea that boys with leadership skills are called ‘leaders’ and girls with leadership girls are called ‘bossy’. Likewise, I would be very curious to know what were the criteria for identifying a girl as aggressive. Were they fair? I have a female African American student that I initially identified as loud, bossy, and aggressive. Then I reminded myself to listen to what she was saying so loudly. It was mostly ‘please’, ‘excuse me’, ‘may I’, and ‘thank you’. I realized that I would probably describe a boy with the same traits as outgoing and considerate.

Second, I am reminded of popular images of ‘aggressive’ girls and women. I can’t think of one that isn’t at least a little bit sexual. The cougar, the school girl attracted to her teacher, the high powered business woman in her very fitted suit, the intern that gains sway in the office with her new look, the list goes on. I can’t help but think that these ‘aggressive’ girls are more at risk for teen pregnancy because they are perceived as more sexual and more adult than their peers.