How to invest in litigation funding…

Click the link at the bottom

During the first couple of days in class we briefly discussed litigation funding, which is the advancing of funds to law firms in exchange for a portion of the proceeds from litigation or arbitration. The key feature of litigation finance is that recourse is generally limited to the proceeds of the litigation/arbitration award or settlement, meaning that, the funded party only pays the litigation funder if the party successfully wins or settles its case. This has been a growing field in the investment industry as people are looking to diversify their portfolio of stocks and bonds as it doesn’t have a strong correlation to the overall markets. I stumbled upon this deck from LexShares that I think does a great job of explaining how it works. These guys are looking for a minimum commitment of $250k which I know is steep but this deck gives you a good starting point for how to understand the space. I’m invested with a company that does Pre-settlement funding that is very similar to this but I didn’t want to be super cheesy and post that deck so take a look at this one. 

Joscelyn

Binder1[5752]