Uhhh Protoypes

Using the techniques discussed in class, make lo-fi prototypes related to at least three concept abstracts from last week.

1. painting idea

I started to wonder whawt kind of art style I wanted to pursue, if I were to continue with this project. For the prototype, I chose a stamp-like metthod, where I faced palmed myself into two pieces of paper. It had some form, but definitely not very recognizable. I wasn’t sure if I wanted the medium to speak as a self portrait of mine, or have both the medium and the subject of the painting to protray myself. 

For this painting, I decided to do more abstract version of myself, imagining myself as a three-eyed person. I think I did this because of the nature of how hair looks on paper; lots of black hair on paper look kind of spooky and unnatural. I also ran out hair midway, so I couldn’t really finish my vision of having three eyes. Therefore, I am attaching a digital drawing of what I was visioning. 

From this experience, I think I want to do silhoutte type of art, where there aren’t clear hard cut lines that distinguish every aspect of the painting subject. I kind of want colors and lines to blend together. Examples of my inspo are the following (I would be combining the following two aesthetics?):  Giclee Abstract Figures 1 Wall Art, , largeDreams Come True - Earth Tone Art - Contemporary Pastel Color Abstract Painting Painting by Modern Abstract - Pixels

1. tattoo idea 

for this prototype, I digitally tattooed my friend Alex. The process was the following: 

1. I showed Alex three designs that I already had. I made him pick one. 
2. I then asked Alex the placement and the size of the tattoo. 
3. When I was putting the tattoo on him digitally, I asked him which colors he would like to use, and he said red and black. 
4. With the finished digital piece, I zoomed the photo of the tattooed hand to the actual size of Alex’s hand. I then put the photo above his real hand and asked him how it felt. 

For the experience, I mainly wanted to see how my designs would look on a human skin + explore the collaborative aspect of tattooing. I immediately realized that I did not like Alex’s color choices, but I respected his choice and colored the beads of the tattoo with black and red. I think this will continue to be a challenge if I pursue this idea in the future. 

It also got me questioning about what I want to actually tattoo on people as a project. I really appreciated Allison’s example that she gave me, which was called “SKIN: A MORTAL WORK OF ART” (https://ineradicablestain.com/skin.html). I think it’s interesting that the piece is called a ‘mortal’ work of art, because I always percieved tattoo as an immortal work of art, since it is permanent and can outlive the soul. However, now I also understand how it can be mortal, since the art is almost ‘living’ with whoever’s body its on. 

I really need to think about the essence of the tattoo subject I will pursue :(!

1. Internet Persona

I took Internet Famous Class by Zoe my first year in IMA. In this class, we learned that every succesful internet persona has a set archtype that they stick to. The following description is from Zoe’s class:

Create a Celebrity Persona for yourself

Acting as your own manager, create for yourself a celebrity brand. Choose a mythological archetype from the list below or find your own. Pick an archetype that expresses a single aspect of who you are, a simplified, easily digestible version of yourself. If you already have a celebrity persona, try picking an archetype that’s completely novel and new.

Now, pick what type of celebrity status this character has: Exclusivity (lots of money and economic capital), Exoticism (lot of cultural capital), Exceptionalism (lots of skills and social capital) or Everydayness (the appearance of no capital)

Using instagram, pinterest, or another socially-enabled collaging software, build a mood board expressing this new celebrity persona. It should contain exactly 9 photos.

• At least three pictures should be of you inhabiting and impersonating the character you have created. Really get into the role with some posed shots, some action shots, whatever it takes to portray this character.
  • At least 3 pictures should show details about this character’s life, or any other imagery expressing the lifestyle with which you want your brand associated. Objects, props, scenery, maybe relationships (they can be fictitious if you want. Collect these pictures from wherever you want, no need to take them from yourself.
  • At least one photo should express something to create intimacy – a (preferably fictitious) piece of personal information or fan access to your (preferably fictitious) inner life to help create feelings of closeness and access with your audience.
  • At least one photo should encourage your audience to partake in a fan like activity, probably through mimicry, or a how to.
  • One photo is a wildcard.

Archetypes: The Love Goddess/God, The Innocent Child, The Trickster, The Party Animal, The Caretaker/Mother, The Fool, The Warrior, The Dark Lord, The Hero, The Free Spirit, The Keen Teen, The Mentor, The Wizard, The Witch, The Rebel, The Explorer, The Cheif/boss, The Creator (The Artist), The Everyman, The Lost Soul, The Spunky Kid”

Based on this previous assignment, I decided to create a fake internet persona + redo this assignment that fits my idea. I decided to pick “the Creator/Artist” archtype, and the following is the screenshot of the fake instagram profile: 

While doing this protoype, I kind of realized that this would be a very long-term project that I don’t think will be very doable in the few months. I also would have to be very consistent in posting to several social medias (such as tiktok, insta, and youtube reels), which sounds like a pain without a personal producer that would work with me in this project. 

Overall, I think I would like to pursue with the first or the second one, but I’m leaning more towards the second one. I already orderd all the supplies, so I feel prepared to jump on the project!

Additonally, I think doing research on the first two ideas and looking at reference art projects will help me decide on my route.