My first attempt at a dovetail joint was a fail.
This week I learned that not only is joinery hard but creating specific shapes is complicated. I realized that I really had to think through the process of how the CNC will be milling my shape. In the end, I came up with a method that I thought was perfect, but then when I used the CNC, it did not do as I had planned in the CAD and CAM.
My goal was to create a joinery that looks like this:
My thought process/plan:
To illustrate what the CNC did:
It cut out the rectangle in black! I am confused. I will try to come up with another method and mill again soon. I have a packed week so I won’t be able to try again before Thursday morning, but I will hopefully get it done before Monday.