Join us April 30, 6pm, for the MIAP 10 Celebration

To cap off the department’s year-long celebration of 10 years of its acclaimed master’s program in Moving Image Archiving and Preservation, we’re throwing a party. Join us at NYU’s Casa Italiana (24 W. 12th) on Wednesday at 6:00 pm.
http://www.nyu.edu/tisch/preservation/miap10/events.html#celebration
Proceeds go the newly-established Robert Sklar Scholarship fund.
If you are not familiar with the program’s sense of international camaraderie, this recent note from Huiming Yu in China, a member of the first graduating MIAP class, will convey some of that.

It is my great pleasure that I may help a little bit for the party. The MIAP program has helped us a lot, and I do think it brought a wonderful piece of treasure to my life, especially when I take a retrospective view on the experience.
The education and training I got at MIAP brought me many skills and insight, which I apply to many jobs. But the more important thing is it has enriched my inner world forever. I always take the experience at the Dept. of Cinema Studies as a blessing.
Last summer I launched an educational program and brought a group of Chinese high-schoolers to Pittsburgh to attend a summer course at Carnegie Mellon University. I also help friends to development business in various fields, and even travelled to Nigeria twice last year (and watched a new Hollywood movie there). Now I am focusing on educational programs.
I always pay attention to movies. I have attended some non-official seminars to introduce Moving Image Archiving in US to Chinese audiences, and I still get involved with some independent movie activities. When Professor Zhang Zhen was a panel member of an independent film festival in Beijing, I met her there.
It’s my honor to have my letter quoted at the party. I wish I could be there. MIAP will always be in my heart.

0502dc-smithsonian52.JPG
Howard Besser’s photo of Huiming Yu and Jeff Martin with archivist Wendy Shay at the Smithsonian’s National Museum of American History (Feb. 2005).