0

Lisa Lubin represented FDA in the development of online game Snack Shake in Whyville

Your video was great!

A few thoughts.

You mention the WHO recommendation for sugar.  If the audience for this is mainly US tweens, you may want to refer to the 2015 Dietary Guidelines for Americans recommendation.  It’s less than 10% calories per day from added sugars. 

https://health.gov/dietaryguidelines/2015/

Also, the new Nutrition Facts label will now differentiate total sugars and added sugars.  The Daily Value of added sugars is less than 50g per day based on a 2,000 calorie daily diet. 

You may also want to mention that 2,000 calories a day are used as a general guide for nutrition advice. Each person’s calorie needs may be higher or lower and vary depending on their age, sex, height, weight, and physical activity level. Folks can learn their calorie needs at http://www.choosemyplate.gov/GetMyPlan.  Personally, I think many people do not know their individual calorie needs and therefore tend to overconsume without knowing so.

Below are links to some of our materials which may be helpful.  Many of these materials are in the process of being updated to reflect the new label as well.

I hope this helps!

Yan Zhao, Producer at TVB

Barry Joseph, Associate Director For Digital Learning at American Museum of Natural History

Highlights from Skype conversation: 

First, it is important to consider what is the context of this learning experience. There is a huge difference between learning with a teacher or adult and by kids themselves.  

Character design shows the mixed age demographic: it might be attractive to kids around 9 years old, but childish for 12 years old.The language shifted from the style of very plain, targeted for the young audience to somehow technical and overwhelming. When explaining “blood sugar control”, it does not sound like a joke as you intended.

The metaphor of magic and wizard is good, you need to push it forward to connect reality. However, it becomes confusing when different metaphors mashing together: the company as Jermain’s body/ the soda company, the organ as wizard and workers in the company –  is it possible for a wizard to become a workaholic?
Overall the characters are cute, and the topic is important. 

Feedback from Thesis Class

• Maaike: I would simplify the graphics that aren’t in the cartoon character style. I loved the cartoon characters but when you introduced other styles it broke the story.
  • Jiaqi: I love that you introduced nutrition knowledge in such a cool way! I believe that kids will like to read your comics! But I’d like to know more of the solution, is it animation, game or comics? Or a combination of all of them? A user scenario might help.
  • Erin: I can’t wait to see you finished web comic! They are great so far! On suggestion I have is maybe to reverse the end section and the beginning so that there is more of an introduction of the problem first. There were a few technical things, the audio was fast at one point, and for the overweight animation it might be worth it to animate him getting fatter, rather than stretching. And you character started sliding off the screen at one point!
  • Sophia: Great video! The only part that I lost a bit is the “how glocho works” with the complicated diagram. Is that really important to be included in the video? If not, probably can cut it. All the other parts are amazing!
  • Lexie: This seems super fun and engaging but I was a little confused at first about what I was watching; I feel like having a more specific idea of the solution sooner would be good.
  • Elyse: The narrative is great and keeps the viewers interested. I’d like to know more about how the game will help users understand nutritional labels.
  • Katalina: I don’t think you need the technical parts where you talk about the biochemical reactions in the body (the dialogue in the beginning). That might not be relevant for people who are listening to your pitch, because the problem you are addressing comes later o (i.e.obesity is a problem, nutrition facts are camouflaged).  (Sophia: I agree with Katalina! It is fun to watch, but doesn’t directly related to your thesis research and design)
  • Priya: I really liked how you set up the characters and the problem. I think that it would have been great to see your solution/idea sooner. Maybe there is a way to integrate your idea with the rest of the narrative? I just felt like the intro was long (engaging, but long) so when your character came in, there was a loss of consistency.
  • Xingming: Fantastic animation! I would suggest use animation for the entire presentation to keep the consistency. I noticed that some parts are styled as slides. And the intro can be shorter.
  • Crystal: I like the style of setting two cartoon characters to express your main point of the project, it’s so interesting, I also think that maybe you can provide some narrative information to explain the main idea clearly and make the pre more concise.
  • Luyanran: I think you can talk more about your solution and cut a little bit of intro.
  • Wayland Guo: Awesome. Seriously, *AWESOME*. To me it seems to be meeting all the requirements and has a very personal style, I think everyone can see the time and effort you put into this video. The only thing I can think of is that I would like to know a little more about the stories of the webcomics, it’ll be better if you could give some examples – but anyways, you have raised the bar really high.