Summer is coming and so too, once again, is New York City’s One Book, One New York adventure. This initiative, organized by The Mayor’s Office of Media and Entertainment, and BuzzFeed, gives New Yorkers the chance to pick ONE BOOK they all want to read together. The Center for Applied Liberal Arts (CALA) will be co-sponsoring several related events with the Division of Applied Undergraduate Studies (DAUS) in the coming months. In the meantime, the first step is for you to vote for THE book.
Here are your choices:
- A Place for Us by Fatima Farheen Mirza: As an Indian wedding gathers a family back together, parents must reckon with the choices their children have made. What secrets and betrayals have caused this close-knit family to fracture?
- Nilda by Nicholasa Mohr: The coming of age story of a 10-year-old Puerto Rican girl growing up in The Bronx during WWII. A story of family hardship and discrimination as young girl’s childhood slowly erodes away.
- Just Kids by Patti Smith: A memoir by the legendary artist gives a glimpse into life in 1970s NYC and her friendship with renowned artist Robert Mapplethorpe.
- Another Brooklyn by Jacqueline Woodson: Four young friends navigate the perils of adolescence, mean streets and haunted memories in 1970s Bushwick, all while dreaming of escape.
- Free Food for Millionaires by Min Jin Lee: A strong-willed Queens-born daughter of Korean immigrants is addicted to a glamourous Manhattan lifestyle she can’t afford, but is determined to carve a space for herself in the glittering world of NYC.
Now click here to VOTE!
For additional information click here