Walking Assignment

Wednesday 12 pm
West Village

Emotional Status: gloom due to the morning rain and insufficient sleep but felt gratified after the walk.

Route: I mostly followed the West Village route recommended by Professor Bankert. I started the walk from and ended at my apartment on East 12th Street.

Gloomy weather and lower clouds blanketed New York City. The air is humid but not chill after the rain. Only a few pedestrians strolling by my starting point near Washington Square Park, a stark contrast to the campus during the normal school year. COVID testing trucks parked on the side of the road were eye-catching but not in accordance with the city’s appearance. Maybe because it was the first time I have visited the Manhattan campus in two years, the area feels completely foreign, as if it was just another historic block in the city. One of the few things that felt familiar was the homeless lady lying by the side of Silver Center.

The walk at West Village is pleasant and calming. Despite a few blocks under construction, the area was surprisingly quiet and peaceful, with the sound of ventilation and wind breathing recurrently in the background almost as white noise. Every time I walked by the district, I was amazed by how well the historical buildings were preserved, making me imagine what it was like strolling here 50 years ago. The orderly and elegant architecture and the red-tinted facade reveal the fineness of the residential neighborhood. The aftermath of Christmas— discarded Christmas trees can be seen casually lying around the roadsides.

When I realized that my hair was getting messier the more I walked, I knew I wasn’t far from the Hudson River. It was getting progressively chillier. The breeze pounded my whole body like a million fists, and the “damage” received by my hair was especially noticeable, followed by my frozen red ears. The skyline in the distance seemed to be hiding in blanket-like clouds, and the skyscrapers were covered by heavy fog, giving a dreamlike yet iconic look of New York. This view is quite unique compared to New York when it is sunny.