Project 4: Isolation Toy

Part 01: Title and Description

“HASDY” stands for Health And Stress Devouring Yawners

The idea of this project is plain and simple. It could be summarized in one phrase—workload stress. My “isolation toy” is categorized as a stress release toy or anti-stress toy. The purpose of this toy is to reflect my mental and physical state during finals and more importantly to release stress for those who have similar difficulties as me. The stress-released toy is made with skin cast silicone with a super soft hand feel. Together with its ugly yet cute looks would make users to instinctively squish it for fun.

Part 02: Project Creative Process

Concept:

My perspective of an “isolation toy” is derived from my experience during IMA finals. For me, stress and isolation are inseparable. Whenever I am isolated to accomplish something alone, unassistedly facing a problem, or taking full responsibility for something by myself, stress and fear accompany me. Similarly, whenever I am stressed about something, I would lock myself up to it, shutting everyone out of my life and being extremely selfish and immature. 

This semester, I am taking four IMA classes and almost all of them contain fabrication or production projects as their final evaluation. Previously, the projects and assignments of each class are interlaced. Although one after another, I would have just enough time to finish all of them. However, all the final projects are almost due at the same time, which made me extremely nervous and traumatized. The last Friday before the IMA show was my birthday. My friends and family prepared a surprise dinner for me, yet I refused to attend and ended up staying up all night at school. Around 6 am, when I was alone in the fabrication shop assembling pieces of plywood, working on that stupid woodworking project of mine, I realized that my behavior is extremely selfish and immature. This motivated me to gift the toys I make in this class to each of them to show appreciation.

In order to do that the toy should be mass-produced and likable at the same time. This inspired me to use digital modeling, 3d printing, and casting skills we learned previously.

Reflection:

I apologize for not entirely completing the project. I am planning on 3d printing the mold with higher accuracy in resin from a Taobao vendor. I am making more variations in terms of color and size. I am also planning on making the molds for feces and entrails. If I have more time, I would give it a try on my original design. I think it is doable and would be much more interesting because there is no resembling stress-released product in the market.   

Part 03: Documentation

Material:

Skin cast silicone is a super-soft, translucent, and relatively cheap silicone gel formula for casting applications such as medical models, props, adult toys, and paddings. Skin cast mixes 1:1 by weight and has a very low viscosity as well as a fast demold time. For the sake of ultimate softness and hand-feel, I decide to use this material to cast the toy.

Mold Making:

I experimented with multiple ways to make the accurate mold for this silicone toy. I subsequently used normal silicone mold and 3d printed PLA mold for casting. Both molds are quite successful, but the 3d printed one has slightly better accuracy. Big thanks to Marcela for the 3d printable mold! 

Design:

The original design is to make an exaggerated silicon version of me with half of the skin exposed, inspired by Jason Freeny’s sculptures. Under the soft skin are a 3d printed skeleton and silicon-casted organs like eyeballs, brain, lungs, heart snd guts. However, due to time limitations, I went with an easier design. A human form creature made with skin cast silicon with his mouth wide opened. Inside his mouth are human organs that are using the same soft material. There is a cavity or tunnel connecting his mouth to his butthole, so the user is able to pull out entrails and colorful feces from it, or even simply poke his or her finger through him like a kebab. This was meant to represent the workaholics that they are devouring or damaging their own health for products and profits. For IMA students and faculties, It would represent how we are exchanging our health for projects and artworks.

Digital Modeling:

I sculpted the digital model in Zbrush. 

Poster:

The poster is rendered in Keyshot 9.