The Facebook Security team is offering scholarships to 5 students to attend the annual DEFCON Security Conference in Las Vegas (Thursday, August 7th – Sunday, August 10th). This should be a good opportunity to network, collaborate, and explore the latest technologies and strategies with the industry leaders. Please find more information about how to apply in the invitation letter below. Note that the application deadline is Sunday, July 27th, 2014. Good luck to those who are going to apply!
Facebook Security DEFCON Scholarship
Our mission at Facebook is to make the world more open and connected. We now serve over 1 billion people, and as we scale to reach the next 5 billion, it is vital for us to continue working pro-actively to keep safe people, their data and Facebook itself, in addition to securing the Internet.
To do this, we must inspire the next generation of security professionals with the creativity, skill, and determination that have gotten us this far. As a result, Facebook welcomes opportunities to encourage and interact with dedicated students showing genuine promise in the field of information security.
In about a month, the Facebook Security team will join a contingent of hackers descending on Las Vegas for the annual DEFCON Security Conference. No better opportunity exists to network, collaborate, and explore the latest technologies and strategies with the leaders of our industry.
The Facebook DEFCON Scholarship will provide 5 students who have shown a passion and desire in the Information Security space a chance to attend the conference, along with several closed-door Facebook events.
Please answer both questions and attach your resume.
1) How did you become interested in Computer Science? (1-2 paragraphs)
2) Provide an example of an information security project that you’re particularly proud of and that relates to your future goals. (2-3 paragraphs)
Please email your submission to firstname.lastname@example.org by midnight, Sunday, July 27th
- Paid registration for DEFCON Las Vegas – https://www.defcon.org/
- $1,000 travel and expense stipend
- Invitation to private Facebook collegiate happy hour – your chance to hear from our team’s recent grads
- Invitation to private Facebook party at Surrender Nightclub
- Sunday, July 27th, 2014
Applications for the Facebook Security DEFCON Scholarship must be submitted in full.
- Wednesday, July 30th, 2014
Award recipients will be notified by email of their acceptance.
- Thursday, August 7th- Sunday, August 10th, 2014
Dates award recipients must be available.
- You must be enrolled at a college or university anywhere in the world and pursuing an information security or related technical major.
- 21+ years old
- You must be available Thursday, August 7th and commit to the DEFCON conference schedule, as well as the FB event schedule.
- Other criteria as decided by Facebook in its sole discretion. Facebook complies with all equal opportunity laws.