#Blog 10: Memory Soundscape Documentation

ListenListenListenListenListenListenListenListenListen

Concept

I lived with my famliy in a university. Beside our home, there is a standard size playground where I went there to play very often. When I was a child, I am very little compare to the playground. What I can notice is the sounds that are near me, the grass, the wind, and the birds. All the artificial sounds are not within my acceptance range. When I gradually grow up, I become more and more aware of the artificial sounds around me, including the construction sound of a new stadium building up. The memory ends after the construction finishes.

Process

To represent the feeling of the wide nature, I used sounds of noises on the road and edit the stereo effect of it to mimic the wind or ocean waves. I also added sounds of water, birds singing and high-pitch piano notes to bring in fuller elements.

To represent the construction, I used noises of the air conditioner in our school as the background, and added the sounds of hitting a iron bottle, coil, finger tapping on the wooden table, flapping of paper, pounding on the keyboard to mimic the harsh sounds of construction and bring about the feeling of highly regulated and rhythmic work flow. I also used steady low-pitch notes of the piano to herald to end of the construction. And I manipulated the noises to stop at once followed by a deep and significant twisted sound to end the construction. At last, I use the bird’s sound again to echo the beginning.

Conclusion

I got feedbacks about I should manipulate the mastering more to avoid peaking and add more trasition to the second part of the loouod noices. I updated my project according to these comments.

More Feedbacks from My Peers:

“I really like the sound like horses and the last loud sound you manipulated from the piano.” — Pam

“I think the first scene is like an empty train station in the wilderness at dawn. There’s no noises. Only the wind and the nature. And then you introducing the noise afterwards and I think it’s like when a train comes and it‘s getting nearer and nearer. I feel that there is a passenger on the train seat and he is looking outside and wondering about something his head. The sudden stop is like the train leaves in a sudden. it kind of gives me a magical feeling that this station is not a normal station. It‘s like in a dream. Then it becomes silent again and birds sing. I feel that now the station is empty again and waiting for the next train to come.” — Beatrix

Nov 15, Century Avenue, Younian Liu