Interaction Lab Group Project – ProMax Nebulous 3000 Cyber

Sara, 0.9/2023

Introduction: 

This blog post describes the ups and downs of a project for Interaction Lab. The main purpose of this project was to explore interactive art. By designing a cardboard prototype of an advanced technologically interactive artifact, we could test ourselves creatively and technically. The technology was supposed to be based on one of three stories: “The Veldt” by Ray Bradbury, “The Ones Who Walk Away from Omelas” by Ursula K. Le Guin or “The Plague” by Yan Leisheng. Our group decided on “The Ones Who Walk Away From Omelas”. 

Discussion: 

Did We Succeed? 

The main criterion for the project was to make it as interactive and creative as possible. We have worked hard to come up with an artifact that wouldn’t be considered cliche, and yet would be understandable enough for the performance to make sense. After long discussions and a few changes of minds, we decided to design interactive wings with IA built in. 

I believe that our “ProMax Nebulous 3000 Cyber”  met the expectations really well, from its physical presentation to the idea behind it. We used a reflective material to cover the surface which created an optical illusion, perfectly expressing modernity. The mechanism behind the wings – a Siri-like voice and an ability to fly – is interesting and creative.

Now, if it comes to our definitions of interaction, we all had different ones. Nevertheless, a common theme was that to make something interactive, it has to react. Either to human gestures, or as an answer to lines of code, it doesn’t matter. Therefore, I believe that our wings meet the definition of interaction. They reacted to the change in environment, and to human voice. 

Our performance projected a story of a girl who wants to see the child, which keeps Omelas intact. The wings were a vital part of the story as they highlighted the ethical issue of Omelas, whilst taking the girl away at the end. We showed the interaction through gestures (pulling the wings with strings to make them seem like they’re moving and therefore flying) and dialogues, therefore I believe that we showed the interaction really well. 

I believe that every performance has room for improvement. We could have definitely polished our script and perhaps rehearsed it more times than we already did. We could have possibly also worked a bit more on the wings to make them even more interactive by coming up with a slightly different, more subtle, way of making the wings move. Nevertheless, I believe that even without this, we did really well.  

Thoughts On Another Group’s Project! 

One performance that stood out to me was “BarbieAI”. Their artifact was an interactive closet which, based on your mood and the weather, would pick an outfit. I thought that the idea in itself is really interesting and fun, it made me want to own such a closet. 

I believe that this project met the criteria pretty well. Their execution was interesting and well prepared, while showcasing the interaction between humans and technology. I also think that they were well prepared in terms of the script. 

Nevertheless, my only critique concerns the theme. An important part of this project was to design the artifact based on the short stories. While watching the performance, I wasn’t exactly sure which world it was from. They did mention the name of the story once but this artifact didn’t exactly relate to the world nevertheless. I think it could be placed in any story and it wouldn’t make any difference. 

I believe that this group could think about their theme once more and adjust it accordingly. For example, they could set the scene in the home “The Veldt” was taking place at. 

Group Dynamics: 

My contributions: 

I organized a lot of work and contributed with different ideas and improvements to our drafts. I worked on the wings and their mechanism along with one of the team members. I also cut out cardboard people and figured out how to make them move (the mechanism looked different at the beginning and the team decided to simplify it later as we were running out of time and cardboard). Moreover, I greatly contributed to the script by coming up with lines and role distribution. I also informally took the role of a leader along with one other team mate, which means that I delegated tasks whilst resolving disputes between team members. Lastly, as for the presentation, I was playing a role of the mother while also helping ‘behind the scenes’. 

Teamwork: 

I think that our group worked really well together. We were able to agree on most things whilst staying active and coming to every meeting. 

We did encounter problems though. One of our members had many contrasting opinions to the rest of the group, whilst also questioning our every decision. It was flustraining at times and we couldn’t come to a consensus. This member, however, came up with many great ideas, which proves that disputes can lead to great things.  

While there were a lot of things to cut out, paint, design, and write, no one felt overwhelmed. Everyone did equally as much, which I think is truly uplifting. Task division wasn’t fixed and we all did things that we had time and energy for, which turned out to be a great motivator. 

We also communicate often, mostly through group chat or face-to-face. Everyone stayed active and replied to any questions or concerns of fellow members. We only had one situation during which one member wasn’t exactly active, however it turned out fine later on, as that member made up for their absence.  

Final Thoughts: 

Overall, I think that this project was really fun and very different from what I’m used to. I was able to explore cardboard, with which I stopped playing at the end of pre school. I also met amazing people with great ideas. I believe that this project improved my communication skills as well as my manual dexterity. 

Attachments: 

1. The Script: 

Jennifer- The wing wearer

Sara- The child

Ninj- AI wing

Leo- Narrator 1

Jess – Narrator 2/Staff/Citizens

Sara – Staff/Mother/Citizens 

Scene: 1 

In Omelas

Narrator 1: 

“This is Jenny, she’s a happy citizen in a happy place, Omelas.”

Jenny waves. 

“Here in Omelas, everyone is happy.”

Jenny walking around.

Jenny:

“Hey, Eric, Andy and Gottfried! What’s up guys?”

Citizen 1: 

“Good morning, Jenny! Another beautiful day in Omelas, isn’t it?”

Jenny:

“It sure is! The sun is shining, and everyone seems so content.”

Citizen 2:

“Have you tried the new ProMax Nebulous 3000 Cyber? It’s amazing!”

Jenny:

“I have! It’s like having a personal assistant and more.”

Narrator 1:

“Recently, the citizens of Omelas have gotten their hands on a new piece of technology. Take a look at the ProMax Nebulous 3000 Cyber, our incredible wing.”

The wing moves up and down.

“In Omelas, people don’t need Didis because of this. It has transformed the lives of its citizens, offering multifunctional wings that serve as their all-encompassing aides, seamlessly integrating into every facet of their existence.”

Pause. 

“Jenny’s mother comes to see her.”

Mother: 

“Jenny! You’re finally eighteen. I know how much you wanted to see the child and now you finally can!” 

Jenny:

“My mom says that our happiness depends on the suffering of a child…”

Prepares to go through the door 

Scene: 2

In the Basement

Jenny Goes through the door, into the basement

Narrator 2: 

“As Jenny steps into the basement, a stinky smell welcomes her. The dimly lit room is small, uncomfortable, and most certainly not suitable for life.”

Jenni: 

“Ew. What is this smell? Why is this place so dark? How can it be so small?” 

AI Wing: 

“Unhealthy air condition, unhealthy air condition, this place is not sanitary, leave immediately”

Scene 3:

Meeting the child

Jenny:

“But I want to explore more…”

Walks around and bumps into the child.

AI Wing:

“Child detected, Child detected.”

Jenny: 

“That’s the child?”

AI Wing:

“Obviously” 

Jenny:

Jenny walks up to the child, the child won’t speak

“Why is this child so sad? She looks very miserable…”

Child (whispering):

“Help me…”

Jenny:

“Oh I see it now… the price of our happiness.”

AI Wing: 

“Indeed, Jenny. The cost of our utopia is a heavy one.”

Narrator 2:

“The wings, sensing Jenny’s torn feelings of empathy and the desire to stay in Omelas, begin to activate regardless.”

The wings, sensing Jenny’s feelings of empathy, begin to activate.

Jenny:

“But I don’t want to leave…”

AI Wing:

“But is that fair for the child? According to my moral programming, it is unethical to let the child suffer, even though everyone in Omelas is happy, but based on my calculations and data bases, the best thing to do is to make everyone leave.”

AI Wing starts to lift Jenni and flies away, the people flying away.

Jenny: 

“But is it fair for the wings to sacrifice the happiness of everyone else?!” 

Screams and flies away

Citizens: 

The citizens also start flying away 

“Where are we going?? What is happening?? The wings are doing their own thing!” 

Narrator 1: 

The child gets up and walks out to see the world.

“The child finally leaves the basement and she finally can explore the world of happiness. The end.”

THE END