What They Don’t Tell You About Study Abroad

While these streets don’t feel like home quite yet, I’m becoming more comfortable in Prague with each passing day.

By Chloe Hum

The first steps I took in Europe were the stairs leading off the plane in London. I was departing the plane when I happened to lose footing and fall down the last few steps. Evidently, the exhaustion of traveling combined with the struggle of flying alone set me up for a great start to my study abroad experience. 

On my first day in Prague I decided to go to T-Mobile to buy an international SIM card. Hesitantly determining that I was more than capable of doing this alone, I left the dorm room, my only source of  WiFi, and ventured into the city without data or service. I managed my way to the store and was able to communicate with the worker about what I needed. I felt my worry fade into optimism; maybe surviving the city wasn’t that hard. However, reality kicked in when the worker told me my phone was locked to other carrier networks and could not support a new SIM card. I was stuck without data or service in a foreign environment with no clue how to get back to my dorm. I was stranded, and could only get home after wandering around in search of WiFi. 

On my third day in Prague I decided to get my nails done as a form of therapy to make up for a stressful first few days abroad. Halfway through, I notice other customers paying in cash. I ask the nail technician if it is cash only and she nods, pointing to a sign on the door. The sign was in Czech. Having no cash on me at all, I was forced to withdraw cash from the only ATM I was told to avoid: EuroNet. Known for high transaction fees, I was repeatedly told it was a scam, but I had no choice. 

On my fourth day in Prague, my suitemate tested positive for COVID-19 and I was told I had to quarantine. 

I think it is safe to say the start of my study abroad experience was not magical, or amazing, or anything like people tell you it is going to be. For a week, I didn’t eat lunch because I could not understand any menu. I was overwhelmed, frustrated and completely deflated. Europe was rejecting me. 

What they don’t tell you about study abroad is that it takes time to adjust to a new environment. What they don’t tell you about study abroad is that the culture shock hits some students harder than others. I thought adjusting to Europe would be nothing after living in New York, but it’s clear that I was undeniably wrong. The language barrier, social burnout and homesickness are not things to underestimate.

It is my 15th day in Prague, and I find myself loving the city more and more. The seemingly never ending stress and difficulties of living in a foreign country has dwindled, and now I can focus on the beauty of the city. Every day without fail, I am awed by the detailed architecture and beautiful churches. I find peace sitting in cozy cafes or riding the tram to class. I love waking up to cobblestone roads and bay windows.

The more time I spend here, the more I understand why people study abroad. Prague has renewed the child-like excitement I first felt when I moved to New York. The difference here is that this thrill will never disappear. The challenges of living in an unfamiliar environment can be a disheartening source of anxiety, but it can also be a source of everlasting discovery– it just might take some time to get there.