Week 2: Interactions in Unreal Engine

3 Interactions in Unreal Engine

I used the Fantasy World Asset in Marketplace and built a little house with no roof. I want the house to feel like some magic has gone wrong, so I made 3 animations: a flying and diming light, a book that flies down the shelf magically, a cauldron that spins crazily and a dragon that flies when it sees the player. Then I added trigger boxes to them to allow the player to trigger them one by one. 

I think these interactions might be useful in the design of the amusement park ride.

The dragon sequence plays once when the player enters the trigger box, then loops another sequence of stationary fly.

The book sequence plays only once and the book mesh stays at the place where the animation ends. 

The light sequence keeps on looping after the player entered the trigger box.

All Blueprints involved.

Dear Angelica

I really like the immersive experience! It is one of the first VR narrative experience I’ve tried, and it is still the top on my list. I love the aethetic, how the immersiveness introduced a sense of surrealism into the story, because it is a rare case when you look around and the world is painted by brush and flowing… I also appreciate the way of transition between scenes, where I had to look around and folllow where the color goes. The sense of distance and space is also quite unique in VR, and I think this piece really takes advantage of that. The spaciousness evokes a sense of the vast universe which enhanced the feeling of loss and loneliness, as well as wonder and hope. The work makes me excited about what work we would see in VR!