Week 1: Unreal Engine Setup

I have heard of Unreal Engine and how good it is a long time ago, but I only developed in Unity before. So I am a bit excited to try it!

Desktop:

Storage:

First Hour in Unreal Engine:

I found many similarities bewteen Unity and Unreal, but wow, the render quality in Unreal is so good! Downside is, my computer ended up stuck for a few times when I was poking around character animations.

Overall the render quality and the quality of assets in marketplace are so impressively good! The basic way of moving things around is a bit hard to get used to, probably wosened due to the fact that I don’t have a mouse yet, but I have confidence that I will get used to it. The blueprint system is very new to me, and seems a bit overwhelming. I can see it must be very powerful, and it’s a relief to not have to code for a lot of things — still, the sheer amout of commands available is terrifying. Now I am only familiar with the most fundamental, like using trigger box to trigger some animation.

I do wonder, since we are not making a game but a footage for a ride — do we need to learn many interactions or are animations enough?

VR Funhouse

I think how VR can integrate body movements and sensations into the gameplay is what makes it more interesting than other mediums. In a game when you try to shoot something the only engaged body part is the hand (one finger is enough, really), but VR engages the whole body and feels much more instinctive and immersive. I enjoy how the games are played, but not so much their aethetic. The enviroment feels a bit dark and dirty, and there is a strong sense of loneliness. I long to see other players and a more natural/lively environment with at least some npc to interact with.