Week 1: Problem Definition/Research

Non Problems 

1. When working out in the weights section of the gym, I usually place my phone on the floor as my workout clothes do not have pockets. This constantly makes me worried about the possibility that someone could step on my phone, or even worse drop heavy objects on it. Since my phone is on the floor, it is also a bit tricky to follow workout videos, especially for standing workouts. With that said, having a phone stand that is extendable up to eye level would be useful for this situation. It can ensure the safety of my phone and help me view my phone screen as I work out. 

2. As a short person, a frequent problem of mine is that I am too short to reach objects that are placed in the upper compartments of cabinets or shelves. I would always have to look for a platform of some sort that I can step on so I can reach what I need. With that said, I think it would be convenient if my footwear could rise on its own to help me reach objects that I usually can’t. 

3. Recently, I kept forgetting my water bottle inside the bus. My water bottle is too big to be kept inside my bag and so I have to carry it around. However, I tend to forget about it, and the only time I realize it’s gone is when I finally need to drink. Another problem I have with carrying my water bottle around is that it is pretty heavy when full. With that said, I think it would be useful to have a device that ensures that my water bottle is always close to me. Aside from this, it would also be very convenient if my water bottle had a mechanism (perhaps the addition of wheels) that would not require me to carry it around, especially if it’s full. 

Favorite Unnecessary Invention 

My favorite unnecessary invention from the two artists is the iSleeper by Matty Benedetto. It is a miniature bed for a phone that has an integrated wireless charger in the mattress. This allows your phone to charge as you tuck in the bed, mimicking how humans also recharge and gain energy as they sleep. What made this invention stand out to me was the artist’s creativity in applying human activity to objects, and making an object that is both aesthetically pleasing and useful.