Joinery and Box
So for the past three weeks (one week I was gone getting wisdom teeth out!) I’ve been working on a box practice. After discussing and research, I decided the best way to create the joint and box would be four pieces, each with two pockets on each side that fit together, also each with a small section that goes down so that the bottom could be pocketed into the top part as well. These are initial drawings and measurements:
After a few trials to understand how the bottom part could fit, I decided it would be much easier for the parts to just be straight rectangles instead of rectangles with little chunks coming out of the bottom, and to fasten the bottom using pegs. Here are more sketches:
The hardest part of this whole project is that I CHOSE THE WRONG WOOD! This wood is one inch pine and is far too thick to get a precise measurement, although my project requires super precise measurements! Round one was a failure because I put too large of a piece on the CNC and the difference in space from the spoil board to the “Z”- zero was soo different from the corners to the middle.
Before I nailed it in:
After I nailed it in (still lopsided)
After this failed to cut out my pieces all the way twice, I eventually learned to use a much smaller piece of wood and make sure to add more cut-through on the contour cut to be safe. However, there is still a bend in the wood which makes the cuts really unprecise!
This means that twice, the problem arose that it would be cutting fine…
and then it needed to cut the last part of the contour cut, and ended up lighting the wood on fire.
What the warped super thick wood means is the measurements that should be parallel to each other are not accurate:
I decided to amend this by re-zeroing the Z-axis mid project in order to compensate for the weird warps.
To was able to come up with a joint that fit together right, but there were other aspects of the pieces I had made that did not match the design, mainly the very light pocket for a top to slide in.
early joint fitting in right
But with the fourth try, I ended up zero-ing the Z too low, and then my bit broke. 🙂
That was paired with the burning wood again
So then I learned that I really needed to have the bit poking out a bit further from the socket. After about six trials, I finally got four pieces that fit into each other with accuracy! the bottom as well as the top are still to come.
I have sanded down most of the pieces, and when I have all six I plan on adding tung oil and then waxing.