Non-native speech production and perception
- Lang, Benjamin and Lisa Davidson. to appear. Effects of exposure and vowel space distribution on phonetic drift: Evidence from American English learners of French. Language and Speech.
- Davidson, Lisa. 2017. Cross-language speech perception and production. Oxford Bibliographies in Linguistics. [online site]
- Davidson, Lisa and Colin Wilson. 2016. Processing nonnative consonant clusters in the classroom: Perception and production of phonetic detail. Second Language Research 32:4, 471-502.
- Davidson, Lisa, Sean Martin and Colin Wilson. 2015. Stabilizing the production of nonnative consonant clusters with acoustic variability. Journal of the Acoustical Society of America 137, 856-872. Supplementary Materials.
- Wilson, Colin, Lisa Davidson and Sean Martin. 2014. Effects of acoustic–phonetic detail on cross-language speech production. Journal of Memory and Language 77, 1-24.
- Wilson, Colin and Lisa Davidson. 2013. Bayesian analysis of non-native cluster production. In Proceedings of NELS 40, MIT, Cambridge, MA.
- Davidson, Lisa and Jason Shaw. 2012. Sources of illusion in consonant cluster perception. Journal of Phonetics 40:2, 234-248.
- Shaw, Jason and Lisa Davidson. 2011. Perceptual similarity in input-output mappings: a computational/experimental study of non-native speech production. Lingua 121:8, 1344-1358.
- Davidson, Lisa. 2011. Phonetic and phonological factors in the second language production of phonemes and phonotactics. Language and Linguistics Compass 5:3, 126–139.
- Davidson, Lisa. 2011. Phonetic, phonemic, and phonological factors in cross-language discrimination of phonotactic contrasts. Journal of Experimental Psychology: Human Perception and Performance 37:1, 270-282. Link to JEP:HPP
- Davidson, Lisa. 2010. Phonetic bases of similarities in cross-language production: Evidence from English and Catalan. Journal of Phonetics 38:2, 272-288.
- Davidson, Lisa, Jason Shaw and Tuuli Adams. 2007. The effect of word learning on the perception of non-native consonant sequences. Journal of the Acoustical Society of America 122:6, 3697-3709.
- Davidson, Lisa. 2007. The relationship between the perception of non-native phonotactics and loanword adaptation. Phonology 24:2, 261-286.
- Davidson, Lisa. 2006. Phonotactics and articulatory coordination interact in phonology: evidence from non-native production. Cognitive Science 30:5, 837-862.
- Davidson, Lisa. 2006. Phonology, phonetics, or frequency: Influences on the production of non-native sequences. Journal of Phonetics, 34:1, 104-137.
Note: This paper is replicated and expanded upon in Davidson (2010), JPhon. Interested readers should consult the 2010 paper for the most complete picture of non-native consonant cluster production.
- Davidson, Lisa, Paul Smolensky, and Peter Jusczyk. 2004. The Initial and Final States: Theoretical Implications and Experimental Explorations of Richness of the Base. In R. Kager, W. Zonneveld, J. Pater, eds. Fixing Priorities: Constraints in Phonological Acquisition. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press, pp. 321-368. (also Rutgers Optimality Archive ROA-428)
Connected Speech Processes
- Davidson, Lisa. to appear. Phonation and laryngeal specification in American English voiceless obstruents. Journal of the International Phonetic Association.
- Davidson, Lisa. 2016. Variability in the implementation of voicing in American English obstruents. Journal of Phonetics 54, 35–50.
- Davidson, Lisa and Daniel Erker. 2014. Hiatus resolution in American English: the case against glide insertion. Language 90:2, 482-514. (Language web version)
- Bouavichith, Dominique and Lisa Davidson. 2013. Segmental and prosodic effects on intervocalic voiced stop reduction in connected speech. Phonetica 70:3, 182-206.
- Davidson, Lisa. 2011. Characteristics of stop releases in American English spontaneous speech. Speech Communication 53:8, 1042-1058.
- Davidson, Lisa and Kevin Roon. 2008. Durational correlates for differentiating consonant sequences in Russian. Journal of the International Phonetic Association 38:2, 137-165.
- Davidson, Lisa. 2006. Schwa elision in fast speech: segmental deletion or gestural overlap? Phonetica 63:79-112. (Note: Figure 8 is incorrect. Please download the corrected Figure 8.)
- Lee-Kim, Sang-Im, Lisa Davidson and Sangjin Hwang. 2013. Morphological effects on the darkness of English intervocalic /l/. Laboratory Phonology 4:2, 475-511.
- Klein, Harriet, Tara McAllister Byun, Lisa Davidson and Maria Grigos. 2013. A multidimensional investigation of children’s /r/ productions: Perceptual, ultrasound, and acoustic measures. American Journal of Speech-Language Pathology 22, 540-553.
- Klein, Harriet, Maria Grigos, Tara McAllister Byun and Lisa Davidson. 2012. The relationship between inexperienced listeners’ perceptions and acoustic correlates of children’s /r/ productions. Clinical Linguistics and Phonetics, 26:7, 628-45.
- Davidson, Lisa. 2006. Comparing tongue shapes from ultrasound imaging using smoothing spline analysis of variance. Journal of the Acoustical Society of America 120:1, 407-415.
- Davidson, Lisa. 2005. Addressing phonological questions with ultrasound. Clinical Linguistics and Phonetics,19:6/7, 619-633.
- Davidson, Lisa and Maureen Stone. 2004. Epenthesis versus gestural mistiming in consonant cluster production. In M. Tsujimura and G. Garding, eds., Proceedings of the West Coast Conference on Formal Linguistics (WCCFL) 22, University of California, San Diego, March 21-23, 2003. (Superceded by Clinical Linguistics and Phonetics 2005 paper.)
- Davidson, Lisa and Matthew Goldrick. 2003. Tense, Agreement and Defaults in Child Catalan: An Optimality Theory Analysis. In S. Montrul and F. Ordonez, eds. Linguistic Theory and Language Development in Hispanic Languages. Cambridge, MA: Cascadilla Press, pp. 193-211.
- Davidson, Lisa and Rolf Noyer. 1997. Loan phonology in Huave: Nativization and the ranking of faithfulness constraints. In B. Agbayani and S. Tang, Proceedings of WCCFL15. Palo Alto: CSLI Publications, pp. 65-80.
Selected Downloadable Conference Presentations
(a full list is available on my CV)
- Davidson, Lisa. 2017. Detection of creaky voice as a function of speaker pitch and gender. Poster presented at Acoustical Society of America, Boston MA, June 25-29, 2017.
- Davidson, Lisa. 2016. The role of creaky phonation in linguistic structure. Talk presented at ASHA, Philadelphia, PA, November 17-19, 2016.
- Davidson, Lisa and Tuuli Adams. 2010. Longitudinal L2 acquisition of Russian consonant cluster coordination. Poster presented at LabPhon 12, Albuquerque, NM.
- Davidson, Lisa. 2007. Effects of word length and presentation order in the perception of non-native sequences. Poster presented at the ASA Meeting in New Orleans, November 27-December 1, 2007.
- Davidson, Lisa and Paul De Decker. 2005. Stabilization techniques for ultrasound imaging of speech articulations. Journal of the Acoustical Society of America 117:4 (part 2), p. 2544. (Presented at the ASA Meeting in Vancouver, May 16-20, 2005.)