I started this assignment by doing the first two code walkthroughs from coding train for ml5. I didn’t have any brainchildren about how to expand on the exercise with the bird images, so i moved on to the image extractor exercise.
I got the sketch up and running without much difficulty so I tried to experiment with adding more emotion buttons. In addition to
I added tasty (tongue out):
and a wink:
No matter how many images i categorized, I only seemed to be able to get two to show up as categorization options (it could be any two, but never more than two)
So I went back to the original example with just happy and sad, and decided to make a game where you have to maintain an “emotional equilibrium” by alternating sad and happy faces to stay within a prescribed “emotional range”. I set a variable ‘equilibrium’ to 50, and each time the camera registered a “happy” face, it would add one. Each time it recognized a “sad” face, it would remove one. I added a tracking bar and some feedback phrases.
Overall, I’m pretty happy with how the game works – in practice, the user has to do some completely unstable-looking facial contortions to be categorized by the sketch as “stable”