Final Reflection (pdf here)
Thinking and Writing Through New Media
In Authentic Learning in the Digital Age: Engaging Students Through Inquiry, Larissa Pahomov writes, “For student reflection to be meaningful, it must be metacognitive, applicable, and shared with others,” and defines metacognitive reflection as taking the process of reflection “to the next level because it is concerned not with assessment, but with self-improvement: Could this be better? How? What steps should you take?” (read full article here). In light of this assertion, I would like you to write a metacognitive reflection on the final project. This reflection should address the following questions, with an aim to identify how you could improve your work.
1. How did you formulate a group contract, and why did you claim responsibility for the tasks you pledged to complete? Was this an effective approach? In retrospect, could you have divided the workload in a way that was more effective?
2. Describe your contributions to the final project in detail. What writing/research/design/management responsibilities did you take on in order to complete this project? How did you complete your individual contributions to the group? What steps did you take? What tools did you use? Did you meet your deadlines (why or why not)?
3. Did you feel like your contributions had a positive impact on the final project? Did you feel the other group members valued your contributions? Did the reactions of your group members (revisions, suggestions, critiques) help you develop your materials in a constructive way?
4. How do you feel you worked as a team? How did you facilitate communication and collaboration between the group members? What tools did you use? Can you suggest improvements for this process? What did you learn that would help you in future group work situations?
5. Imagine you were an audience member during your presentation and rate it on the same scale provided in class: research, innovation, creativity, clarity (1-10) and why?
6. And finally, what did you learn through the process of creating and presenting this project? How did this project help you synthesize and apply the topics we covered throughout the semester? Do you have suggestions to improve this assignment?
You may expand or add to these guidelines in any way you wish. This is your opportunity to speak directly to me about what you learned in this course.
This will be worth 25 points, and should be 3-5 pages in length (single spaced please). Please submit this as a Google Doc that you share with me upon completion. You must invite me as an editor (with privileges to edit, not just read or comment). This is due at 4:55pm on Wednesday, December 17, 2014.