Latinx Project Program Assistant (10 hours a week; $25/hour)
The Latinx Project is looking for a program assistant to help organize and streamline our public programming beginning in August 2019. The ideal applicant will be knowledgeable, curious and excited about the wide field of Latinx studies. We are looking for a quick learner with a good attitude who is detail oriented and flexible. The person selected will work closely with the Latinx Project’s team to bring to fruition a range of programs, panels, and events hosted by the Latinx Project by providing logistical support. The position will involve clerical and administrative tasks like maintaining calendars, managing meetings and appointments and be a liaison for artists, academics, and speakers to our events. The position offers a great opportunity for someone to gain a deeper understanding about issues in the field of Latinx scholarship, art and media and how organizations are building an infrastructure to support and grow it.
Great Communication & Organizational Skills
Experience with WordPress
Adobe Photoshop, Indesign, Illustrator
Social Media — Facebook, Twitter, Instagram
Basic Graphic Design
Responsibilities and Duties:
- Liaison for artists, panelists etc.
- Data Management
- Calendar maintenance
- Weekly/Monthly Reports
- WordPress Website Updates
- Social Media Assistance with use of a range of apps
- Graphic Design as needed
- Assist with events (some of which will take place in the evenings )
- Other tasks as assigned
- Writing, proofreading, research, and organizational skills are a must and a writing sample is required
- A working knowledge of Adobe Photoshop and Illustrator is a definite plus
- Knowledge of social media platforms like Instagram, Facebook, Twitter etc.
- Working knowledge of the Latinx Studies academic field and beyond
- Patience and flexibility to complete both mentally engaging and administratively routine tasks
- Extremely reliable, punctual and able to follow through with tasks & big projects
The Latinx Project at NYU explores the generative power of U.S. Latinxs in history, scholarship, and media. Conceiving Latinx as a broad social project, we develop and promote research, curricular collaborations, public engagement, and programming that fosters critical thinking about US Latinxs and an ongoing engagement with the politics and economies of contemporary culture.
The Latinx Project establishes partnerships and collaborations among cultural workers, artists, scholars, and communities in order to better understand the larger contexts affecting Latinx arts, media, and creative work in contemporary cities. We are dedicated to promoting Latinx arts, scholarship, and history while improving access and cultural equity.
Our use of Latinx indicates an openness to gender, sexual and racial inclusivity, while also paying attention to the multiple ways in which Latinx organize and forge community around nationality, race, ethnicity, gender, and other designations. We seek to expand understandings of equity, justice, and inclusion throughout original projects that connect culture, scholarship, and activism.
To apply please e-mail email@example.com with a cover letter and an applicable resume. Deadline is June 30th.