National Consumer Protection Week begins on March 3rd! For information on identity theft, common scams and recommendations geared to consumers, check out the Federal Trade Commission’s (“FTC”) list of planned events.
- To file a consumer complaint https://www.usa.gov/consumer-complaints
- Please be advised that the “National Consumer Center” is a scam which misleads people into thinking they are eligible for a prize in connection with responses to a fake survey.
- To report identity theft and get a recovery plan, https://www.identitytheft.gov/.
- To receive consumer alerts by signing up for email updates from the FTC, https://www.consumer.ftc.gov/features/scam-alerts.
- To register for the National Do Not Call Registry, https://www.donotcall.gov/?utm_source=takeaction.
- For a list of the FTC’s top frauds of 2018, see: https://www.consumer.ftc.gov/blog/2019/02/top-frauds-2018.
- NJCCIC, “Tax Scams and Identity Theft: What You Need to Know“.
- To learn more about identity theft and how to protect yourself see the following NYU IT Connect article, “Protect Who You Are Online”.