Table Music – planning

Table music is the temporary name for my final project.

I have sketched a rough plan for all the components and the communications between them:


A gear based music machine controlled by one rotary encoder mounted on a main handled gear. Players compose their own physical and musical compositions by placing gears on the peg board and editing their patters using physical buttons and digitally projected interface.

Components include:

  • computer running processing + Max Msp
  • Arduino
  • projector
  • kinect camera
  • Pegboard 35″X20″
  • 8 X 7 “acrylic gears with IR stickers
  • Rotary incoder
  • 2 X big push buttons
  • 1 X rotary slider
  • Long HDMI
  • 2 X Long USB Cable


Automated Xylophone – Part 1

In continuation of examination of the arduino’s inputs and outputs I’ve decided to pick a musical instrument to focus on in this weeks assignment.

The Xylophone is a musical instrument that I thought would be a good Idea to visualize – It already has a good feedback to it, its a percussion instrument!

The first step was to visualize the idea on pen and paper, sketching some ideas.


After getting a rough shape of the interactivity, I started modeling the first module on a CAD program – a wooden stripe inlaid with LED for each note.

  1. The first functionality will indicate each note as its being hit.
  2. The second functionality will pick a random note to be played following the note previously hit. 

I started fabricating the stripe from wood, drilled and wired all the LED in their place.

I used Piezo microphones attached to each note to allow an analog input to the arduino, processing and sending signals to the LED’s.

I had some trial and error connecting the mic to the metal notes. In the beginning, i used blue tape to attach the parts, which wasn’t a good decision. the tape muted most of the sound of the note. I then used another tape which was better but the second one was conductive and short circuited the piezo mic. At last, I used two sided tape to attach the mics, the sound is better, yet not 100%, but its the best solution between the three, and the most elegant one.   

I labled every input and output and connected each module to the arduino VIA a dedicated breadboard.



First MVP: