Table Music – planning

Table music is the temporary name for my final project.

I have sketched a rough plan for all the components and the communications between them:

TL:DR

A gear based music machine controlled by one rotary encoder mounted on a main handled gear. Players compose their own physical and musical compositions by placing gears on the peg board and editing their patters using physical buttons and digitally projected interface.

Components include:

  • computer running processing + Max Msp
  • Arduino
  • projector
  • kinect camera
  • Pegboard 35″X20″
  • 8 X 7 “acrylic gears with IR stickers
  • Rotary incoder
  • 2 X big push buttons
  • 1 X rotary slider
  • Long HDMI
  • 2 X Long USB Cable

 

PCOMP – Final project concept

I have always had an attraction to music and its structure. 

Drums always come first – High-hat that counts the tempo, kick drum drum that lays the beat down and the snare that snaps and brings the sharp staccato to the beat. Of course, after that comes the baseline, the guitar and then the harmony- synths keys, and anything else.

There are a lot of ways to bring music to life, the ingredients need balance, but the first thing they need is the tempo.

I have decided to have this as the concept for my final project in this course, an interactive audio/visual music box that is generated through physical tempo.

I plan to build a table filled with gears of different sizes. The user will be prompted to build his own composition with the gears, similar to a puzzle. When done, he can turn the main gear – thus moving all the gears in correlation to that main gear. Each gear holds a certain element of the composition – a drum, cymbal, baseline, keys, synths and more –  and the user can choose weather he wants to add it to the recipe or not (editing a certain gears notes is an option too).

Each gear’s rotation speed will be measured by a rotary sensor that will play the gears part accordingly – all parts will be synced to the same master gear.   

Another element for this project is the visual projection. From the top will be projected a visualization for each cog that is added by the user by projection mapping. The user could change samples and part through an interface incorporated in the project. 

First illustration of the gears in motion.

Illustration of the projection mapping.

Halloween trick part2

💀

 
As Hadar and I broke down the ghost project into practical steps – we soon realized it will be an extensive project which emphasizes the craft side, therefore we went on another round of ideation.
 
 
‘Shadow Party’ – an interactive shadow play especially for Halloween. As the traditional shadow puppetry, ‘Shadow Party’ holds a main storyline – a friendly skeleton, returns from the world beyond to share one last dance with his living love (accompanied of course by a bunch of bats, talking pumpkins, and a spooky moon…)
 

The user is invited to control the dance movements and explore the surprising elements in the scene. As a prototype, we laser cut a skeleton figure and created moving joints, in order to explore the movement and shadows using servo motors and LED lights.
 

For the finished piece, we imagine a full scene behind a round screen, where every part is controlled by the user. There are some puppetry techniques we haven’t yet explored, this week will be dedicated to movement exploration and the magic of light and shadow.
 
 
Itay & Hadar 

 

Halloween Trick Part01 – 👻

Using Helium balloons and an iron wire skeleton, Hadar Ben-Zur and I we will create a floating ghost. 
 
The hands – attached to the skeleton with two servo motors – will function as sails navigating it around the room, using two fans at each side of the ghost as engines to trigger movement. 
 
 
Ingredients:
1 skeleton made of iron wire
~5 Helium balloons (?)
1 sheet of fabric/nylon
Moving eyes / LED eyes

2 Fans

2 servo motors
A few blue LED’s inside (?)
 
 
 
 
 
 

Automated Xylophone – Part 1

In continuation of examination of the arduino’s inputs and outputs I’ve decided to pick a musical instrument to focus on in this weeks assignment.

The Xylophone is a musical instrument that I thought would be a good Idea to visualize – It already has a good feedback to it, its a percussion instrument!

The first step was to visualize the idea on pen and paper, sketching some ideas.

 

After getting a rough shape of the interactivity, I started modeling the first module on a CAD program – a wooden stripe inlaid with LED for each note.

  1. The first functionality will indicate each note as its being hit.
  2. The second functionality will pick a random note to be played following the note previously hit. 

I started fabricating the stripe from wood, drilled and wired all the LED in their place.

I used Piezo microphones attached to each note to allow an analog input to the arduino, processing and sending signals to the LED’s.

I had some trial and error connecting the mic to the metal notes. In the beginning, i used blue tape to attach the parts, which wasn’t a good decision. the tape muted most of the sound of the note. I then used another tape which was better but the second one was conductive and short circuited the piezo mic. At last, I used two sided tape to attach the mics, the sound is better, yet not 100%, but its the best solution between the three, and the most elegant one.   

I labled every input and output and connected each module to the arduino VIA a dedicated breadboard.

 

 

First MVP: