Magic Window final – The portals of René Magritte

René François Ghislain Magritte (died 15 august 1967) was a Belgian surrealist artist. He became well known for creating a number of witty and thought-provoking images. Often depicting ordinary objects in an unusual context, his work is known for challenging observers’ preconditioned perceptions of reality. 

In his works Magritte created surrealist portals by juxtapositions of contrast themes to create illusions, overlaying reality and illusion, Magritte gave new meaning to familiar things and challenged our beliefs, perceptions and realities. In particular, Magritte’s surrealism fooled our sense of time and space.

I find these ideas especially interesting in correlation to Augmented reality. In my project I want to recreate some of Magritte’s paintings in AR. I find it extremely interesting giving new interpretations to his iconic paintings with AR technology, enabling further exploration to his visual themes of ‘portals’ and visual bridges between ‘reality’ and pure imagination.

The promise, 1966

Le beau monde , 1962

Memories of the Holy , 1960

The king’s museum, 1966

Sixteenth of September, 1956

Mona Lisa, 1967

In my project I plan to create a small catalog of reproductions for magrittes works that would display the original artwork, its info and an/ AR version. The catalog would be a one page app that users could scroll through and consume 2d and 3d, screen space and world space all the same feed. 

AR Studies to be incorporated in the app:

App Mockup: