A dress that sounds emotions
In this project we were thinking about the possibility of a garment having a life of it’s own connected but also independent of the wearer.
Inspired Victor and Rolf’s Bells Défilé Haute Couture – Autumn/Winter 2000
We were thinking, can a dress make sound when interacted with even if the wearer is still?
I started by testing a simple circuit with a few jingel bells, 2 vibration motors boards connected in parallel(the Lilypad ones have the resistor on board which s helpful) and a coin cell battery.
We decided to create a dress with 8 vibration motors on one layer of the yolk and an outer layer covered in jingel bells. At the center of the bust we situated a touch sensor embedded in a heart shaped embroidered patch. As I mentioned in various posts, one of my goals in coming to ITP was to see if wearables can actually be fashion. For that reason it was very important to me to make this an actual fashionable dress and not a dirty prototype.
We used 8 haptic motor driver boards and a multiplexer to control all 8 motors from a Flora microcontroller. What seamed like a perfectly simple code using the touch sensor as a button has proven to be very tricky for some reason althogh we tested all the components for voltage flow the circuit and code are not working?!
1 – TCA9548A 1-to-8 I2C multiplexer
8- The DRV2605 motor driver
8- Vibrating Mini Motor Disc
1- Adafruit Flora microcontroller
this is the code we were testing:
We then went to plan B going back to the two motor I was using for the test adding the Flora and the touch sensor with a simple high/low code. This is working but for some reason the power of the motors is being diminished when receiving power of the pin rather than being connected directly to power and ground…frustrating to say the least.
This is the final product hopefully a working video will be added soon and bells will be ringing…
I am continuing to work on this project for the final project in this class since I really want to solve the coding/power issue we had with the motors.
Things that need to happen
- Fix code to run all 8 motors with drivers off the multiplexer and make sure the circuit is getting enough power
- rewire the whole circuit exchanging wire wrapping with 30 gage silicone wire.
- Doubling the amount of bells from 150 to 300.
- making the electronics layer easy to remove from yolk of dress.
I started by testing the code the Prof. gave me on two motors and seeing that it work I changed it to fire all 8. This is a huge relief and now I need to dive into the data sheet to understand and chose a vibration patterns and stop the Motors from going trough them all.
After working on the code with my professor and understanding the logic of counting to get an “analogue” reading from a digital sensor we were able to change patterns and incorporate different vibration responses.
finished sewing all the bells to maximize the ringing effect. and checked the circuit.
That worked great so I moved on to solder the circuit as it was all in wire wrapping. I guess I something is weak because it is very unstable, working and then not with no apparent reason. I debugged the whole thing with David Rios- Flora is good, sensor is good, code is good, so it can only be wiring but it is not anything obvious.
I think I will have to rewire the entire thing:(