Making a marquee letter “R”
This week was all about creating and making our own schematics and board design in Eagle and then milling on the Bantam (Othermill).
Like I mentioned in a previous post designing in Eagle is a lot like navigating a maze it can be like playing a game and honestly quite fun but, and this is a big but!! It won’t pick up on electrical mistakes in your circuit and that can lead to a whole lot of grief.
We are each milling a letter from a phrase we voted on. The phrase is “Microcontrol Me! (BTW it was my suggestion, just saying:)
My letter was R and I started out by downloading the parts I needed from the parts list on Eagle.
16- 220 ohm resistors
1- ATTiny 85 socket
1- 10k resistor
1- 100uf capacitor
1 – 0.1uf capacitor
2- Vcc/Gnd plugs
1- 5 pin header
1- 3 pin Header (if I decide to use a touch sensor instead of a potentiometer)
1 – Transistor
Then designed the board and placed the parts, after checking with my Prof. we discovered a few errors like connecting a resistor to itself or connecting the transistor to power instead of ground. Dotting your i’s and crossing your t’s is super important in this process because once you mill the board it is very hard to see what thew mistakes were and you have to go through the whole process over again. I am still not 100% that I am in the clear but we will find out soon enough.
Now opening the file in the Bantam software and milling. Making sure to clean the machine and prob the board before actually going for it.
From there it was time to get all the components and carefully placing them on the board with sauter paste.
.After this entire process I ended up with a beautiful letter problem was, it didn’t work!!
I checked and rechecked even asking a classmate who is an engineer to come to my rescue. We were able to find one very embracing mistake the pot was only connected to the data pin but not to power or ground, if you look back at the schematic you can see it quite clearly. But this was not the reason the circuit didn’t work. We are relatively sure it has something to do with the transistor because the LEDs light up when powered after the transistor. I decided since there was already the pot issue I would just make another letter and fix everything.
The first schematic I made from scratch but this time as time was pressing I used the one the Prof. gave us.the only thing keeping me entertained while going through this process again was I designed the letter differently this time:)
Thank the lord!! it works!!