A.I.R Gallery

A.I.R. is the first artist-run gallery for women artists in the United States and has served as the
model for many alternative galleries and organizations. In addition to being an alternative,
non-profit exhibition space, A.I.R. has become a cultural center which sponsors public and
community-oriented programs and maintains an archive of its history at NYU Fales Library.

Name of Organization: A.I.R Gallery 

Organization Website: https://www.airgallery.org/ 

Organization Address: 155 Plymouth St. Brooklyn NY

Contact Name: Josephine Heston 

Contact Phone: (212) 255-6651

Contact Email: jheston@airgallery.org 

Dates of Internship: Spring or Summer 2019

Industry: Arts/Arts Management 

Description of Internship: The Internship Program provides an opportunity to gain experience in all aspects of managing an arts organization and gallery. By assisting the staff and working with artists at the gallery, interns will become familiar with the unique nature of A.I.R. and become a part of its rich history. The work includes direct contact with the public, assisting with mailings and gallery publicity, cataloging incoming information and facilitating communication of information between the staff, the artists, and the public. Past projects have included organizing the archive of historic documents, coordinating open-call exhibitions, planning a panel discussion, writing grant proposals, designing press materials, website upkeep, and online social networking.

To Apply: Internships are ongoing throughout the year and are available in the Fall, Winter, Spring, and Summer. A.I.R. is currently interviewing interns for the Spring/Summer 2019 season. Please send a resume and a cover letter to Josephine Heston, Interim Assistant Director, at jheston@airgallery.org. In particular, if the internship would fulfill a requirement of your academic program, please explain. An interview will be scheduled after receiving your materials.