Professors of Italian Language (Italian Studies) developed a shared assessment bank to gauge students’ comprehension, listening, and writing skills. Using the Tests & Quizzes tool within NYU Classes, they created rich, multimedia quizzes that provide automatic grading and instant feedback for students.
- Increase formative assessment opportunities for students by providing instant feedback
- Support collaboration in the assessment-building process
- Allow for custom assessment creation associated with a department-created textbook
Italian Studies created its own textbook and workbook to reflect the cultural, grammatical, lexical topics prioritized by the Department, and provide a lower cost option to students. Formative assessment, ongoing monitoring of student performance and learning, is essential for learning as it helps students and instructors identify learning gaps or areas of improvement. Director by Professor Nicola Cipani, Italian Studies faculty used the NYU Classes Tests & Quizzes tool to create a shared multimedia test bank that could be used by the entire department for courses in New York and Florence.
- Access multimedia quizzes through NYU Classes
- Receive instant feedback
- Coordination of assessment creation, distributed across multiple professors
- NYU Classes, for custom and shareable assessments
- Online test bank that can re-used across professors and courses
- Increased opportunities for students to assess their learning
- Exploration of a low cost, online textbook (initial estimates could save 400 students in NYC and Florence between ~60 in textbook costs)