MeSH (Medical Subject Headings) is the U.S. National Library of Medicine’s controlled vocabulary, a standard collection of terms used to index PubMed article contents.
- MeSH terminology imposes uniformity and consistency to the indexing of the biomedical literature.
- Searching using MeSH pulls together all articles on a concept including synonyms and allows for spelling variations.
When searching Pubmed with terms, e.g.: joint replacement the search results will include:
- The entry term translated to MeSH terminology: Arthroplasty, replacement
- A display of Subheadings that further describe contents of an article.
- A display of a MeSH term hierarchically, for example, the term Arthroplasty, replacement and its narrower terms.
- The important point: a search using the MeSH term will include results indexed with all of the narrower (indented) terms.
- Link to live MeSH term for Arthroplasty, replacement, its allowable subheadings, and its narrower terms.
- Link to a MeSH video tutorial
- Link to MeSH factsheet