Week 10: Laser Cutting Experience

Cam A:

(Line Width has been modified//thickened to ensure that they are visible)

Reflection:

After being unable to locate a local store that was willing to open and laser-cut, I ended up having my mechanism cut by Professor Godoy at the Academic Building. I made sure to ask my questions before completing the design, which is why I think, I did not run into any big problems with the cutting procedure. Professor Godoy gave me the advice I needed, especially with my concerns about the lengths and widths of certain rods and shafts. With her help, I utilized the idea of pinning two rods together to create a thicker one that would weave through the top of the Cam. This is similar to how she showed us she had stuck together two inner wheels to thicken the moving mechanism. To compensate for this change in my design, I enlarged the square hole at the top of the box. Professor Godoy also helped me double-check the illustrator file before sending it off to the laser-cutter. I would think that the final outcome is quite nice, but it is difficult for me to confirm this statement since I am in Canada and am, therefore, unable to grab a hold of the panels and assemble them myself.