Week 7: Introducing Photogrammetry

1. Just Sitting In A Box

The object that I have captured here is a Funko Pop Figurine. They do not really serve any other purpose other than a form of collector’s item. All they really do is sit in plastic containers or specialized boxes and gather dust upon shelves and others of its kind. They don’t have much movement unless manipulated and moved by the player at hand. All of these descriptions are thus, I believe, very close representations of the current situation I am in, or perhaps we are all in. 

This is the second object I tried to create photogrammetry for, but as advised by Dave, I changed my previous dark-coloured batman figurine for this much brighter one. I was still unable to create the results I wanted, even after taking over 200 photos. For some reason, less than half of my cameras were being aligned in the application. I was told that I could perhaps alter the lighting, which only derived the same results. I then made the decision that I would retake my photos with the flash on. This I believe, helped create better lighting arrangements for the entirety of the object. But I was worried about how the flash would affect the algorithms that interpreted light and reflection. The results were still not significant enough. Until! I finally realized that I needed to double click on the Dense Cloud and Mesh options in order for them to actually render into the viewfinder. I was absolutely relieved to finally be able to view my object as photogrammetry!

2. Trip Down Nintendo Lane 

For the second photogrammetry exercise, I chose to recreate my old Nintendo Wii Remote Control. Being at home after having been away for so long has allowed me to look through old memories in great significance. There are a lot of days where I may be cleaning certain rooms or drawers and discover valuables that I had owned years before. This Wii Remote is just one of the items I have come across in the past few days. The remote controls brought me back to the days of the Wii console, the DSI Lites, and all the Mario Party Minigames my friends and I would enjoy after a day of classes. It is also crazy to think just how much I have grown since playing with the Wii, and just how much Nintendo has changed since 2006! (Wii Release Date: November 19, 2006) The emotions that this object represents is one of nostalgic remembrance as brought upon by this quarantine period of the virus. 

This attempt at photogrammetry went much smoother since I finally understood what had gone wrong previously. I took photos with the flash turned on, and ended up with around 180 photos. I made sure to reach at least 177, as that was the total amount of cameras that were aligned in my first Funko Pop photogrammetry. I repeated my steps from before, also ensuring that I double-clicked the dense cloud and mesh views for full renderings. My classmates in the course really helped me out a lot with my struggles!

I do hope in the future that I can improve on my skills. I believe that for both results, I was left with rough patches and bumps in certain sections, specifically the back portion. I am, however, still quite satisfied with the results I have achieved.