Week 1: Agree/Disagree Exercise

This documentation post details my full responses to the in-class exercise we completed in Class 1 in regards to the article “16 Lessons for a VR-First Future From Ready Player One

Agree: #11

Out of the 16 lessons, I agree the most with #11: Home food delivery may become the most common way to eat. The reason for this choice is because I am aware of the current trends around the world that seem to corroborate that this prediction is not that far in the future at all. Especially having lived and studied in China, one of the largest hubs for food delivery, my entire perspective on food delivery has changed drastically.

In the past, I would agree that it was quite convenient, but it would be too expensive and by the time I received the food it would be cold and I would no longer be hungry. In China, however, I can tell why it is so popular. The food is cheaper, the wait time is at a minimum, the distance traveled is basically 0 and the whole process only takes a few taps of my finger. If more and more countries follow in China’s footsteps I am sure that, along with the internalization of VR as a lifestyle, the rate in which home food delivery is used would skyrocket. Though I know that this would be a negative reality, I can not deny the fact that as the need and desire to go outdoors is abolished all together through the usage of VR, the whole food delivery industry could only flourish.

Disagree: #7

The lesson I disagree most with is #7: VR can erase race and gender inequality gaps. As many of us had mentioned in the class discussion, out of all 16 lessons, this statement would probably have to be one of the most idealistic ones. The article details how a character in the original book disguises his/her race and sex by simply customizing the avatar as a completely different person, in efforts to avoid prejudice behavior from his/her society. I find this absolutely preposterous. Instead of actually allowing people to be judged solely on creativity, experience, and intellect as opposed to race, physical appearance, and social status, the VR world would just be pushing aside the whole idea of equality to the side, rather than actually tackling the problem head-on. The discrimination is still there and the prejudice is still present, it is just dormant until another victim arrives. There is only another layer, another mask that people must wear in fear of being negatively viewed by others.