Partnership program between NYU’s Steinhardt School of Education and ECNU’s School of Teaching Chinese as a Foreign Language in Preparing Teachers of Chinese as a Foreign Language for American Schools
Graduates of ECNU’s School of Teaching Chinese as a Foreign Language will enter NYU’s Foreign Language Education Program to study towards their MA degree in teaching Chinese as a foreign language.
The program is partially funded by the Steinhardt School of Education and ECNU with funding from The Office of Chinese Language Council International (Han Ban) of the Ministry of Education in China. The objective of the program is to train teachers of Chinese as a Foreign Language who are qualified to teach in American schools.
Highlights of the Program
- Students who are accepted to the program will study for three semesters in the Department of Teaching and Learning of the Steinhardt School of Education at NYU’s Washington Square Campus.
- Students will follow and complete the state approved teacher certification program leading to a M.A. in Foreign Language Education (Chinese). Students will do student teaching in American schools for two semesters. Students will receive an M.A. in Foreign Language Education (Chinese) from NYU upon satisfactory completion of their studies.
- Qualified graduates will be nominated by the Steinhardt for the NYS teacher certification.
- Students will have a chance to teach Chinese in American schools for practical training for one year.
- Students may have the opportunity to continue teaching in American schools for another 2-3 years as a visiting teacher.