Categories
Art and the Anthropocene

Art and the Anthropocene_Assignment 2

Land Art intervention

In this assignment, I choose NewBund Small Huangpu River Park and Leaf Park as my site. (They’re very close together, just across the street)

In order to guide my walk, I choose the dice as my parameter: I decide the number of steps based on the number that I rolled and  look around for possible materials. But soon I realize that this setting is not very reasonable to find suitable material, so I modify it to walking ten times the number rolled.

Along the way, I picked up some fallen leaves, flowers and small peaches. Perhaps because it’s about to rain, the ants have become very active (or more likely, of course, there’s fallen food on the ground) I’ve also observed ant activity. This inspired me: people can be as small as ants in front of a huge landscape. So what if we magnify the tiny scenes in nature?

Thus, based on the idea that I want people to pay attention to the natural things they don’t care about in their daily life, and at the same time realize the insignificance of human beings in front of the nature, I envisioned this playground as a playful way for people to have an immersive experience of the natural scenery.        

One of the Suggested Route   

Effect of people in the playground

Luckily, one little ant volunteered to be the first visitor to this playground while I was building it, and apparently it got a little lost. This will be the effect I hope humans can experience when the park is scaled up several times: a view of the world from the perspective of tiny animals. I envision this facility becoming part of the park, a combination of the man-made landscape and the natural world. Perhaps after experiencing this sense of insignificance, people will re-examine the grandeur and subtlety of nature and realize the importance of protecting the environment.