Nov 18, 2020 Globalizing the Muslim Caribbean

SPECIAL EVENT of interest for Global Asia

A BOOK LAUNCH for

Aliyah Khan, FAR FROM MECCA: GLOBALIZING THE MUSLIM CARIBBEAN, New Brunswick : Rutgers University Press 2020

(NYU ebook link) (Rutgers Press link)

Critical Contemporary Studies Workshop RIW at the University of Michigan for a book talk followed by a Q&A with Professor Aliyah Khan:

Wednesday, November 18th at 12pm
RSVP at this link for a Zoom invite.

Far from Mecca is the first academic work on Muslims in the English-speaking Caribbean. Khan focuses on the fiction, poetry, and music of Islam in Guyana, Trinidad, and Jamaica. Combining archival research, ethnography, and literary analysis, Khan argues for a historical continuity of Afro- and Indo-Muslim presence and cultural production in the Caribbean. Case studies explored range from Arabic-language autobiographical and religious texts written by enslaved Sufi West Africans in nineteenth-century Jamaica, to early twentieth-century fictions of post-indenture South Asian Muslim indigeneity and El Dorado, to the attempted government coup in 1990 by the Jamaat al-Muslimeen in Trinidad, as well as the island’s calypso music, to contemporary judicial cases concerning Caribbean Muslims and global terrorism. Khan argues that the Caribbean Muslim subject, the “fullaman,” a performative identity that relies on gendering and racializing Islam, troubles discourses of creolization that are fundamental to postcolonial nationalisms in the Caribbean.

9 thoughts on “Nov 18, 2020 Globalizing the Muslim Caribbean

1. I wanted to put you that little word to finally say thanks the moment again about the wonderful strategies you have documented on this page. It’s quite pretty open-handed of people like you to give unhampered all most of us could possibly have offered for sale as an ebook in making some bucks on their own, most notably considering the fact that you might well have done it in case you wanted. Those suggestions additionally served to become a good way to realize that someone else have similar zeal just as my very own to realize a great deal more related to this condition. I am sure there are many more pleasant instances in the future for many who browse through your blog post.

2. The following time I read a blog, I hope that it doesnt disappoint me as a lot as this one. I imply, I know it was my option to learn, however I truly thought youd have something attention-grabbing to say. All I hear is a bunch of whining about something that you could possibly fix in case you werent too busy searching for attention.

3. Nhà cái 33win là một trang web cá cược uy tín với đa dạng các trò chơi như sportsbook, casino trực tuyến và xổ số.

4. I keep listening to the news broadcast speak about receiving free online grant applications so I have been looking around for the best site to get one. Could you tell me please, where could i acquire some?

5. The root of your writing while sounding reasonable at first, did not really settle well with me after some time. Somewhere throughout the sentences you actually managed to make me a believer unfortunately just for a while. I nevertheless have got a problem with your leaps in assumptions and you would do well to fill in all those gaps. When you can accomplish that, I will certainly end up being amazed.