We are actively recruiting clinical partners to assist with our pilot study formally testing the efficacy of app-based treatment for residual /r/ errors! We are now able to offer a $100 honorarium to offset some of the time you may spend on non-treatment activities like completing background questionnaires and uploading files to our server. If you are interested in learning more about participating as a formal pilot tester, please reach out to us at firstname.lastname@example.org! Feel free to spread the word to any colleagues who might be interested.
This page provides an overview of the complete process, also found in our Checklist for Interested Clinicians. Separate pages with detailed instructions for each step are linked below. You can also consult our study FAQ.
Get Set Up
- To download a copy of the app to your iPad, please email email@example.com with your request. You will receive an invitation to download staRt via Apple’s Test Flight app, which is free to download in the app store.
- PLEASE NOTE: staRt is currently available for iPad only. iPhone and other devices will come later.
- Review the staRt user manual.
- For pilot testing, you need to use the app with a microphone. We recommend earphones/headsets. See the user manual for more details.
- Review the inclusionary criteria detailed in our “Clinician Letter.” If you have a client who partly fits our criteria, feel free to reach out to get our opinion about enrolling him/her.
- Complete two requirements to become eligible to assist with the conduct of human subjects research..
- Email firstname.lastname@example.org to initiate the process to become a volunteer research affiliate of NYU.
- Complete human subjects training through CITI online.
- Share the document “Parent Letter” with the parents/guardians of any potential participants.
- If the potential participant and his/her family express interest in proceeding, notify our team via email@example.com.
- We will reply with consent documents for the participant and the parent/guardian.
- Once all of the participant and parent/guardian’s questions have been addressed, each individual (participant, parent) should sign the appropriate form.
- Scan the signed forms and upload them here.
- Perform these steps only if the child’s parent/guardian checked “Yes” in response to the question “Will you allow your child’s speech pathologist to share information about your child’s history of speech-language treatment and current speech-language abilities?“
- Complete “Clinician Questionnaire 1: Speech and Language History.”
- Complete “Clinician Questionnaire 2: Speech and Language Evaluation.”
- Upload forms here.
Start Treating with staRt!
The staRt app will prompt you to complete 16 sessions of treatment, 100 trials per session. Sessions will be randomly assigned to a biofeedback condition or a no-biofeedback condition (where you will still use the app but the wave will be hidden). The document “Master Schedule” contains complete instructions for providing treatment as a formal pilot tester.
Feedback? Email firstname.lastname@example.org