Feb. 09 Choreographer, Bertolt Brecht’s Caucasian Chalk Circle, translated/adapted by Ramona Thomasius, directed by Alice Reagan, performed by PL115 as part of the 2008 Mabou Mines/SUITE Resident Artist Program.
- “infectiously energetic one-hour production” New York Times
- “Deianira, played with frantic intensity by the excellent Heidi Schreck, is the original desperate housewife in a designer dress. We first see her writhing in a tortured Martha Graham-like solo dance (choreographed by Beth Kurkjian).” Backstage Magazine
- “With the startling choreographed ball scene and its evocation of Austen’s past, the performance affirms the potential for inventive transformation.” Village Voice
- “the tour de force contribution here is choreographer Beth Kukjian’s wild African-inflected take on Austen’s social dance, which highlights both interpersonal and intercultural tensions.” nytheatre.com
- “As finely orchestrated by director Alice Reagan and choreographer Beth Kurkjian, the movements, expressions, and elan exhibited here are gorgeously theatrical and consistently striking.” Backstage Magazine