Final idea

I am making a device that acts like an impact sensor. I will will have a series of motors and an accelerometer. Maybe one or two leds. It will be powered from a 12V power supply (because of the motor), so I will need a regulator to convert 12V to a safer 3.3V for all the other components.

BOM

  • ATtiny84 microcontroller
  • Motors
  • neopixel LEDs.
  • 12V DC power supply, and my input on my PCB will be the DC barrel jack in the homemade-hardware Eagle library and hard-lab supply
  • A 3.3V regulator from the homemade-hardware Eagle library.

First PCB board- Letter “O”

Eagle schematic: First try

I put all the parts together and made the connections. Tried to do it all in the shape of the letter O but thats pointless because when you switch to board design, it appears as a jumbled mess. 

Routing:

Result: Will upload picture soon. 

I did not like the result. Most of the lines got stripped away. Could be because of some settings on Bantam. I was only able to choose the 1/32th bit. If i tried making another selection the whole application shut down. 

Second try: 

Hopefully this will go better than the first time. I added more LEDs on my board and a better design now that I felt more confident with Eagle. 

.   

 

Result:

The lines were too thin and got stripped away during the milling process again. I will not be able to make any connections. Not sure what went wrong since it accepted the very smallest size bit as well as the two other bits. So disappointed.

 

Working! (Kinda)

I increased the size of the routes after changing the units of measurement. The board was perfect but having been “burnt” 5 times already, I couldnt see that it was milled right. All I was seeing was the copper that had been removed and assumed the routes had been cut through again- until Andy pointed it out to me in class!

Parts assembly, soldering, heating and testing:

 

 

The LEDs are working. The rest of the connections not really. I’m happy overall for coming this far!

SMD Soldering and Board Design

I worked with Andy during an office hour to create this charging port for a lipo battery. Amazing experience all through!

 

HomeWork:

Finish designing the Eagle Board files from class:

Eagle-board-design:  Attiny85 jig

 

 

Not too sure whats going on here. The lines seem to automatically want to connect with objects further away.

All connected.

 

Eagle-board-design: Attiny85 LED

Here’s how i made the connections. Still getting the hang of it.

 

 

Jig

  1. Finish soldering your jig:

After many tries I was able to solder the different parts onto the jig. Quite happy with the result.

 

Since I was having trouble with my arduino in class. i was not able to follow through with the class until the end when they burned the boot loader in order to download whatever code they needed to program the Attiny85 with. So i changed arduinos and started the whole process again. 

Was not able to get far as i ran into another issue when it was time to burn the boot loader. The only thing I can think of that is interrupting the whole process is that I’m using a 100uF capacitor since it is the only one I have with me right now. 

I’ll try again tomorrow when I’m able to get the right one. 

.