Entering NYU buildings
All NYU buildings have a guard at the door and require an ID to enter. Please bring a passport or a US driver’s license with you. Unfortunately, you cannot enter the NYU library without an NYU ID.
Maps and locations
The locations of talks and events:
Getting to New York
Please see NYU’s Getting to New York page for helpful information on the airports, train stations and bus stations that serve the area. John F. Kennedy International Airport (JFK) is the most common airport that people fly into. Cab fare from JFK is $60 into Manhattan and metered to other boroughs. For public transit options from JFK, take the AirTrain to Jamaica Station or Howard Beach, where you can change to a subway or LIRR (overground) train. If you are flying into Newark International Airport (EWR), the best way to get into the city is to take the NJ Transit train to Penn Station; taking a taxi from EWR is not recommended. LaGuardiaAirport (LGA) is accessible by a combination of bus and subway; cab fare is around $40.
The closest subway stops to NYU are the following:
- 8th St–NYU: R/W subways (~5 min walk)
- Astor Place: 6 subway (~5 min walk)
- West 4th St or Broadway–Lafayette: A/C/E, B/D/F/M subways (~10 min walk)
- Union Square: 2, 4/5/6, L, N/Q/R/W subways (~15 min walk)
We recommend reserving your rooms as early as possible. New York’s tourist season runs year round and hotels do not offer block room deals to conferences such as AMP.
Here is a link to NYU’s Lodgings page. (Executive summary: It suggests to stay somewhere other than the Greenwich Village area.) The closest hotel to campus is Washington Square Hotel. However, it can run somewhat expensive (over $200 a night).
If you are on a tight budget, we recommend staying somewhat further from campus and taking the subway in. In particular, there are several hotels in Long Island City with (slightly) better prices (currently $120-160 a night). Keep in mind also that Jersey City and Hoboken, NJ are only 15-20 minutes away by PATH, the NJ Transit light commuter rail system. There is a PATH stop on 9th Street at 6th Ave, which is about 7 minutes’ walk from the conference site.
- Wyndham Garden Long Island City (~35 min by subway)
- Best Western Long Island City (~30 min by subway, also has Brooklyn and Jersey City locations)
- Ramada Long Island City (~35 min by subway, also has Jersey City location)
- Howard Johnson Long Island City (~35 min by subway)
- Sleep Inn (Queens) (~35 min by subway)
- Country Inn Long Island City (~30 min by subway)
- Comfort Inn (Queens) (~30 min by subway)
If you prefer to stay in Manhattan, the following hotels are competitively priced for the location (but be aware that some have shared bathrooms):
- Gatsby Hotel (~15 min walk)
- Holiday Inn Lower East Side (~25 min walk, or 15 min by subway)
- Hotel 31 (~30 min walk, or 15 min by subway)
- The Jane Hotel (~20 min walk, or 20 min by subway)
- The Nomad Suites-Midtown Apartment (~30 min walk, or 15 min by subway)
- Ramada Eastside (~30 min walk, or 15 min by subway)
Child and Family Care at NYU
NYU does not provide a child care facility for its employees or for researchers attending NYU-hosted conferences. There is a page with some suggestions on hiring a babysitter while at NYU.