Entering NYU buildings
All NYU buildings have a guard at the door and require an ID to enter. Please bring a passport or a US driver’s license with you. Unfortunately, you cannot enter the NYU library without an NYU ID.
Maps and locations
The locations of talks and events:
Martin Lipton Hall is inside D’Agostino Hall, 108 Third Street (between Sullivan and MacDougal Sts). Please note that there are TWO LIPTON HALLS at NYU–one is a dorm on the west side of Washington Square, and the other is a lecture auditorium inside D’Agostino, which is a Law School building. You want the non-dorm. Please enter through the door labeled 108 Lipton Hall.
Greenberg Lounge: this is inside the Arthur Vanderbilt Hall, which is an NYU Law School building at 40 Washington Square South (the southwest corner of Washington Square, near MacDougal Street). Enter through the garden, turn right at the security desk, go to the end of the hall (there are some stairs to climb) and turn right again to enter the lecture hall.
Kimball Hall: the entrance is at 246 Greene Street, between Waverly Pl. and Washington Pl. It is accessible with no stairs to climb. Turn left past the security desk, you’ll see the glass room that faces the corner of Greene/Waverly.
Getting to New York
Please see NYU’s Getting to New York page for helpful information on the airports, train stations and bus stations that serve the area. John F. Kennedy International Airport (JFK) is the most common airport that people fly into. Cab fare from JFK is $60 into Manhattan and metered to other boroughs. For public transit options from JFK, take the AirTrain to Jamaica Station or Howard Beach, where you can change to a subway or LIRR (overground) train. If you are flying into Newark International Airport (EWR), the best way to get into the city is to take the NJ Transit train to Penn Station; taking a taxi from EWR is not recommended. LaGuardiaAirport (LGA) is accessible by a combination of bus and subway; cab fare is around $40.
The closest subway stops to NYU are the following:
- 8th St–NYU: R/W subways (~5 min walk)
- Astor Place: 6 subway (~5 min walk)
- West 4th St or Broadway–Lafayette: A/C/E, B/D/F/M subways (~10 min walk)
- Union Square: 2, 4/5/6, L, N/Q/R/W subways (~15 min walk)
We recommend reserving your rooms as early as possible. New York’s tourist season runs year round and hotels do not offer block room deals to conferences such as AMP.
Here is a link to NYU’s Lodgings page. (Executive summary: It suggests to stay somewhere other than the Greenwich Village area.) The closest hotel to campus is Washington Square Hotel. However, it can run somewhat expensive (over $200 a night).
If you are on a tight budget, we recommend staying somewhat further from campus and taking the subway in. In particular, there are several hotels in Long Island City with (slightly) better prices (currently $120-160 a night). Keep in mind also that Jersey City and Hoboken, NJ are only 15-20 minutes away by PATH, the NJ Transit light commuter rail system. There is a PATH stop on 9th Street at 6th Ave, which is about 7 minutes’ walk from the conference site.
- Wyndham Garden Long Island City (~35 min by subway)
- Best Western Long Island City (~30 min by subway, also has Brooklyn and Jersey City locations)
- Ramada Long Island City (~35 min by subway, also has Jersey City location)
- Howard Johnson Long Island City (~35 min by subway)
- Sleep Inn (Queens) (~35 min by subway)
- Country Inn Long Island City (~30 min by subway)
- Comfort Inn (Queens) (~30 min by subway)
If you prefer to stay in Manhattan, the following hotels are competitively priced for the location (but be aware that some have shared bathrooms):
- Gatsby Hotel (~15 min walk)
- Holiday Inn Lower East Side (~25 min walk, or 15 min by subway)
- Hotel 31 (~30 min walk, or 15 min by subway)
- The Jane Hotel (~20 min walk, or 20 min by subway)
- The Nomad Suites-Midtown Apartment (~30 min walk, or 15 min by subway)
- Ramada Eastside (~30 min walk, or 15 min by subway)
Food options near NYU
While NYU does not have a canteen, there are ample affordable food options nearby. Aside from the usual chains, there are a lot of places worth exploring. Mind you, some of these places have very limited seating.
- Sidewalk Tacos ($): Tacos with vegetarian options
Corner of Washington Place and Broadway
- NY Dosas ($): Award-winning Indian dosa-cart (with vegetarian and vegan options) that sometimes pops up in Washington Sq Park (on the Southwestern corner), if you see it, get it!
- OTTO Enoteca e Pizzeria ($-$$): Italian with vegetarian and vegan options
1 5th Ave, New York, NY 10003
- Maoz Falafel & Grill ($): Middle Eastern with vegetarian and vegan options
359 E 8th St, New York, NY 10003
- Quantum Leap ($$): Pescaterian restaurant with vegetarian and vegan options
226 Thompson St, New York, NY 10012
- Ahimsa ($$): Indian buffet-style lunch with plenty of vegetarian and vegan options
210 Thompson St, New York, NY 10012
- Kati Roll Company ($): Indian Katis with vegetarian and vegan options
99 Macdougal St, New York, NY 10012
- Kopi Kopi ($-$$): Indonesian tapas and ramen with vegetarian and vegan options
68 W 3rd St, New York, NY 10012
- Num Pang ($): Cambodian baguette sandwiches with vegetarian options
28 E 12th St, New York, NY 10003
- Soho Tiffin Junction ($): Indian with vegetarian and vegan options
42 E 8th St, New York, NY 10003
- Manousheh ($): Lebanese with vegetarian and vegan options
193 Bleecker St, New York, NY 10012
- Bareburger ($$): A selection of burgers (incl. bison) with vegetarian and vegan options
535 LaGuardia Pl, New York, NY 10012
- Old Tbilisi ($$-$$$): Georgian with vegetarian options
174 Bleecker St, New York, NY 10012
- West 3rd Common ($$): American pub with vegetarian options
1 W 3rd St, New York, NY 10012
- Masala Times ($-$$): Indian and Halal with vegetarian options
194 Bleecker St, New York, NY 10012
- Saigon Shack ($): Vietnamese with vegetarian and vegan options
114 Macdougal St, New York, NY 10012
- Pommes Frites ($): Belgian fries with vegetarian options
128 Macdougal St, New York, NY 10012
- The Rice Noodle ($): Chinese (Yunnan-style) noodle soup
190 Bleecker St, New York, NY 10012
- Semsom Eatery ($): Mediterranean and Lebanese with vegetarian and gluten-free options
2 Astor Pl, New York, NY 10003
- Kiin Thai ($-$$): Thai with vegetarian options
36 E 8th St, New York, NY 10003
- White Oak Tavern ($$): American pub with vegetarian options
21 Waverly Pl, New York, NY 10003
Child and Family Care at NYU
NYU does not provide a child care facility for its employees or for researchers attending NYU-hosted conferences. There is a page with some suggestions on hiring a babysitter while at NYU.